Aaron Morris recounts the Suzuka 8 Hour experience
Images by David Reygondeau
Aaron Morris finished a highly creditable 12th at the Suzuka 8 Hour last weekend. Originally slated to share the Team R2CL Suzuki GSX-R1000 with countryman Adrian Wagner and Swiss rider Sebastien Suchet, the triumvirate were instead reduced to racing as a duo, after Wagner injured himself in a motocross accident just before the event.
“It definitely has been a mix up from previous years this one. I never saw myself doing endurance racing but I think it has been a massive step forward in my career.
“Coming off a 4th at Le Mans in my first endurance race, then to a DNF in Portugal now to bounce back and claim 12th place at Suzuka is a great result.
“I haven’t been doing a lot of riding when I’m home, just training for the next event, but I make up for it each endurance race I go to.
“It was mine and Sebastien’s first time at Suzuka and we ran a similar pace all weekend. I qualified with a 2m11.3 and Seb at a 2m12.8. But overall in the race we were very similar. Aiden wagner was meant to also be riding but he crashed a few days prior and broke some ribs.
“I really enjoyed Suzuka. It’s an amazing track, but also a very difficult endurance track. Hard to pass, and a lot of tricky sections which saw the most crashes I have seen all year. We also changed from Dunlop to Pirelli on Thursday, so that made the weekend more difficult.
“Overall, I didn’t expect us to run this high against all the factory bikes at Suzuka. I’m very happy with the result.”
Suzuka 8 Hour 2016 Results
- #21 Yamaha Factory Racing Nakasuga/Espargaro/Lowes 218 laps
- #87 Team Green Yanagawa/Haslam/Watanabe +2m 17.883s
- #12 Yoshimura Suzuki Tsuda/Brookes/Haga +1 lap
- #7 YART Yamaha EWC Team Parkes/Nozane/Fujita +4 laps
- #32 Moto Map Suzuki Waters/Aoki/Konno +4 laps
- #17 Kagayama Suzuki Kagayama/Uramoto/Kiyonari +5 laps
- #01 Eva RT Kawasaki Deguchi/Izutsu/Nigon +5 laps
- #22 SatuHati Honda Team Asia Pratama/Wilairot/Zaidi +6 laps
- #18 Mistresa ATS Honda Nakatsuhara/Kobayashi/Sekiguchi +6 lapa
- #090 Teluru RT Honda Akiyoshi/Cudlin/Ohkubo +6 laps