Young guns form 2015 GYTR Yamaha Team
The North Queensland duo of Wilson Todd and Mitch Evans will spearhead the GYTR Yamaha motocross and supercross team for the 2015 season.
Wilson Todd will return to the team after his outstanding debut season in 2014 while highly touted junior champion, Mitch Evans, will make his long awaited professional debut with the GYTR Yamaha team in 2015.
Wilson Todd was thrust into Yamaha’s MXD race program at the 11th hour in 2014 after an injury to Joel Dinsdale. Todd instantly took the bull by the horns and made the most of his opportunity in senior racing, posting good results and showing incredible speed. Despite some early season falls, Todd charged his way to fourth in the MXD Championship, highlight by a dominant round win at Gladstone and several podium positions throughout the season.
“I’m really looking forward to 2015 as I felt I was just finding my feet as the end of the 2014 series,” Todd explained. “It’s different to racing juniors in so many ways and by the halfway point of the season I was able to get it under control and post some good results.
“It’s awesome that I’m back with the GYTR Yamaha team. We have a bunch of great people here and the team sponsors really look after us. The guys have been working hard to make some improvements and I will be ready to go when the season starts,” Todd ends.
Mitch Evans comes to the team after destroying the opposition in the 2014 Australian Junior Motocross Championships, taking home the 15 years 125 and 15 years 250cc crowns. Evans was clearly a class above the rest and now is working hard to meet his goals in his first year in professional racing.
Like his team mate, Evans is also based in North Queensland and is excited about the step up in racing and working with the GYTR Yamaha team.
“I was pretty excited when the team contacted me and asked if I would be interested in racing with them,” Evans said. “The riders who have come through this team have also done well and the Yamaha system with GYTR / Serco and CDR Yamaha offer a path to the top of Australian motocross so it’s too good to resist.
“This is my first year and there will be so many things to learn and experience. Riding and racing new tracks, racing with different riders, longer races on rougher tracks and just being surrounded by a new group of people has me excited about 2015. Round one can’t come soon enough for me,” Mitch explains.
The GYTR Yamaha team is Yamaha’s factory supported Under 19 motocross and supercross team. Riders who have progressed through this team and gone onto bigger and better things include, Dean Ferris, Luke Styke, Luke Arbon, Jay Wilson and most recently, Jed Beaton with his step up to Serco Yamaha.
“2015 will be a good year for the team,” states Team Manager, Scott Bishop. “We have two young, dedicated, hard- working riders who are polite and respectful off the track and give their all on it. Both have been rivals during the junior career and that rivalry has pushed them to a professional speed at such a young age.
“The 2014 Yamaha YZ250F proved to be a great race bike and we have already been able to increase performance for 2015. We have the riders in place, a great bunch of long time team sponsors who support what we do, as well as welcoming new partners Sony Action Cam, Unit Clothing and Bell Helmets and we will continue to be the benchmark for developing motocross talent in Australia,” Bishop ends.
- Age: 16
- Lives: Atherton, QLD
- Job: Student
- Bike: YZ250F
- Race Number: 41
- Hobbies: Mountain biking, BMX
- Career Highlights: Australian Junior MX Champion, Multi time QLD junior MX champion, 4th MXD 2014 MX Nats, round win at Gladstone MX Nats 2014
- 2015 Goals: Win MXD and move to MX2 with Factory Serco Yamaha ride.
- Social Media: @WILSONTODD41
- Age: 16
- Lives: Cairns, QLD
- Job: Student
- Bike: YZ250F
- Race Number: 43
- Hobbies: Water Skiing / Mountain biking.
- Career Highlights: 2014 Australian 125 and 250 junior champion, represent Australia at World Junior champs.
- 2015 Goals: Continue to improve and establish myself as a professional racer.
- Social Media: @mitchevans43
2015 GYTR Yamaha Provisional Race Team Calendar
- March 29: MX Nats RD 1 – Horsham Vic.
- April 11/12: MX Nats RD 2 – Appin. NSW
- April 25/26: MX Nats RD 3 – Broadford. Vic
- May 16/17: MX Nats – Murray Bridge. SA
- May 30/31: MX Nats RD 5 – Coolum. Qld
- July 4/5: MX Nats RD 6 – Raymond Terrace. NSW
- July 18/19: MX Nats RD 7 – Shepparton. VIC
- August 1 / 2 : MX Nats RD 8 – Nowra. NSW
- August 22/23: MX Nats RD 9 – Toowoomba. QLD
- August 29/30: MX Nats RD 10 – Coolum. QLD
- October 3- ASX RD 1 – Adelaide . SA
- October 10 – ASX RD2 – Bathurst. NSW
- October 17-18 ASX RD 3 – Phillip Island. VIC
- October 24 ASX RD 4 – Newcastle. NSW
- November 14 ASX RD 5 – Brisbane. QLD