Higher performance from the V4
The primary goal of the changes made to the already extraordinary Aprilia Tuono V4 engine was to increase torque, especially at medium-low revs in order to increase effectiveness and riding pleasure on the road. To achieve this goal the engine capacity was increased to a full 1077 cc thanks to the new cylinder bore which was taken from 78 to 81 mm. This increase in displacement also resulted in higher top performance: the power peak went from 170 to 175 HP and places the Tuono V4 1100 range at the top of its segment (already at 8,000 rpm almost 20 HP more than before are available). This makes the new sport naked from Noale a complete weapon for thrills and effectiveness with superlative torque values that dominate on the road and uncompromising top performance to dominate on the track.
The Tuono V4 1100 is the only naked powered by a 65° V4 engine° with unique characteristics. The narrow V architecture made it possible to build an engine with incredibly reduced longitudinal bulk which favours centring the weight and creating a compact chassis. As in previous models, the monobloc crankcase with integrated aluminium cylinder liners ensures maximum rigidity and consistent performance. The upper half of the engine case is now made with a new shell fusion and has been lightened and reinforced; it also now has an optimised ventilation system in order to reduce power loss due to air pressure inside the engine crankcase. Also, the crankshaft now has connecting rod pins reduced to 36 mm in diameter, the pistons are new and the Pankl connecting rods are lighter by a total of 400 grams.
The other technical particulars which made this engine so popular have remained unchanged, such as the removable gearbox and the innovative timing system kinematics: the chain camshaft drives only the intake camshaft which in turn drives the exhaust camshaft via a single gear. This solution allows for extremely compact heads especially in the area beneath the frame spars, much narrower than would otherwise be possible. A countershaft dampens vibrations even more than in a 90° V engine.
Full Ride by Wire technology eliminates any direct connection between the throttle grip and the throttle valves, which are entirely controlled by a latest generation Marelli control unit that also controls the ignition and the four injectors. Each bank is fuelled by two throttle bodies managed by a dedicated servo unit. This means that the aperture of the throttle valves and consequently the quantity of fuel injected can be controlled independently. This solution opens up practically infinite possibilities for power delivery control.
The new and powerful engine ECO now allows the three maps to be more easily managed, each one of which corresponds to a different engine power output and now also to a dedicated engine brake management map. The two classic engine management maps, Track and Sport, are now joined by a Road map which is full power instead of the previous generation Tuono V4’s limited power map. All three maps are more manageable and less aggressive than the previous version, allowing a better relationship between the opening of the throttle and the torque sent to the wheels. This is a solution that provides further advantages, such as reducing rear tyre wear and better management of the significant power that the new Aprilia V4 is capable of developing.
Versions and colours
The new Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 range includes two models distinguished by different technical equipment and different colour schemes: Tuono V4 1100 RR is available in two attractive colour schemes, grigio Portimao and Donington blu, whereas the Superpole graphic of the Tuono V4 1100 Factory has that decidedly non-conformist spirit so typical of the Aprilia stylistic tradition that demands bright and very distinctive colours.
Rich range of accessories
Aprilia has designed and developed a wide range of accessories so you can personalise your Tuono V4 1100. These are select high quality items that you can use to increase the performance of your new Aprilia, make it more attractive or more comfortable.
- Oversize top fairing: made in smoked polycarbonate, this item was designed to obtain better aerodynamic penetration on the track.
- Race ECU: dedicated for use on the track, this item is programmed with racing maps to optimise electronic engine management.
- Slip-on racing exhaust: made by Akrapovic, this item is available in carbon or titanium.
- Complete racing exhaust: this is an exhaust system complete with headers made by Akrapovic. It is available with carbon or titanium mufflers.
- Öhlins TTX shock absorbers: the TTX line is the most prestigious of the products offered by Öhlins (top and bottom attachments are in billet aluminium). They allow full and fine adjustment in all shock absorbing functions. They can be fitted with linear sensors to install telemetry.
- Öhlins steering damper: the fine adjustment of this item’s hydraulics provides a front end that is always solid even during the most violent acceleration.
- Carbon components: side fairings, mudguards and heel guards made in matte finished carbon fibre. They guarantee a sporty look and lower overall weight.
- License plate bracket cover: made of laser cut steel, this is applied after removing the license plate bracket when using the bike on the track.
- Frame guards: made of billet nylon, these are useful to prevent damage to the frame in the event of a sliding crash.
- Racing rider footpegs: completely machined from billet aluminium and adjustable to 9 different positions, these pegs allow micrometric calibration of the gear shift and brake controls. They are installation ready to lodge the rear brake light switch and the inverted gear lever.
- Inverted racing gear lever: this is a mechanical element that inverts the gear shifting mode in order to improve performance on the track.
- Forged rims: made from aluminium with a forging process, these provide maximum resistance at a light weight, essential for increasing handling.
- Tank bag: available in two sizes, this bag is made of technical fabric with carbon-look inserts. They are tested and approved to resist oil, fuel, UV rays and not to compromise stability even at high speeds.
- Adjustable license plate bracket: made from laser cut steel. Includes the LED licence plate light.
- Led Blinkers: Higher brightness and lower consumption are the main technical features of these led blinkers.
- Stand pins, made from billet aluminium, these pins are needed for you to use the paddock stand
- Motorcycle cover: made of breathable Lycra, this cover was designed to protect your bike from dust.
- V4-MP kit: this is the installation kit for the multimedia platform dedicated to the Aprilia V4 models made up of a Bluetooth control unit and all the wiring needed for installation.
Telemetry arrives with V4-MP
In the rich accessories catalogue dedicated to the Aprilia Tuono V4 100 you can now find a highly advanced version of the Piaggio Multimedia Platform which transforms your smartphone into a semi-professional tool with exceptional information capacity. As you know, Piaggio Multimedia Platform is the innovative multimedia platform offered exclusively by the Piaggio Group which allows you to connect your vehicle to your smartphone and consequently to the web. With this exceptional application your smartphone becomes an actual sophisticated on board multifunctional computer and the link between the vehicle and the Internet. This is a window to the future which lays the foundation for a new way of looking at communication on two wheels. Thanks to a further development of this fascinating system fine tuned by Aprilia, communication between the bike and smartphone now becomes active: from your smartphone you can change the settings on your Tuono V4, as well as receive tips in real time on how to improve your performance on the track in complete safety.
Some of the more prominent features of V4-MP are:
Active electronic setup: this is as close as you can get to the “corner-by-corner” electronic management used in racing. Using the GPS feature of your smartphone, the system recognises the position of the bike at any given time on the track and automatically changes the electronic adjustments (traction control, anti-wheelie, engine mapping, etc.), accessing a database of parameters recommended by Aprilia Racing. In any case you can set the electronic controls up according to your own preferences, turn by turn. This allows you to increase safety and effectiveness on the track, adjusting the control parameters at every point on the circuit and without distractions.
Immersive virtual telemetry: your smartphone records the data from the engine and, using a sophisticated and realistic engine graphic, illustrates user performance. The lap reference is indicated by the “ghost” bike image and the performance relative to it can be downloaded to a database which collects all the laps made by Aprilia customers on each circuit.
Adaptive race assistant: this feature provides tips in real time to safely achieve your best lap on the track with your Tuono V4. Thanks to Aprilia Racing Department simulation technology, you can establish the ideal lap for each track, considering the various grip and rider skill levels. The application compares rider performance in real time and assists by immediately indicating the need to brake or the possibility of opening up the throttle.