Larger capacity Yamaha MT-07 arrives
Yamaha supplement MT07 line-up with larger 689cc model to sell alongside the previous 655cc LAMS model
Yamaha Australia kicked a great goal in successfully lobbying Japan for a specialised LAMS version of the MT-07 for the Australian market with a reduced by 2mm bore size, to sneak in for approval under the LAMS learner registration scheme.
Yamaha have now responded to customer requests by introducing the larger capacity 689cc version of their highly successful MT-07, alongside that existing learner approved 655cc machine first introduced to Australia in 2014.
This larger engined machine, which is the regular MT-07 model in overseas markets, boasts 75hp in comparison to the LAMS machine’s 52 horsepower. Torque is also significantly boosted from 57.5Nm to 68Nm.
Another update to the Australian MT-07 range is that now all LAMS models of the machine now have ABS as standard.
The LAMS MT-07LA is offered in four colours. Three colours are the same as existing model MT-07, which is Competition White, Matt Grey and Deep Armour. But the Lava Red model is now replaced with a hot new Extreme Yellow. The LAMS approved MT-07 retails for $9599 RRP inc GST.
The second model is a full power ‘High Output’ model 689cc version of the 270-degree parallel twin. This model is available in Race Blu only and is priced $9999 RRP inc GST. This MT-07HO model is not learner approved and is not available with ABS braking.
Both models share the same chassis and running gear as the current highly desirable MT-07 that has been so popular.
Here are the technical highlights of the new models
- Liquid-cooled 655cc or 689cc in-line twin-cylinder DOHC four-stroke
- Lightweight and compact engine with 270 degree crank
- 655cc LAMs model produces 52.1PS@8000rpm, 57.5Nm@4000rpm
- 689cc model produces 74.8PS@9000rpm, 68.0Nm@6500rpm
- Outstanding fuel efficiency
- Four-valve design with forged pistons and direct plated cylinders
- Offset cylinder design for increased fuel efficiency
- Compact clutch, six speed box
- Lightweight single axis balancer
- 689cc model is 179kg wet weight (182kg for 655cc model with ABS) with full fuel tank
- Slim frame with 805mm seat height for easy agility and manoeuvrability
- Compact and upright riding style with freedom to adopt different positions
- Class-leading 180 wide rear tyre and wave discs front and rear
- Chassis geometry, weight distribution and dimensions designed for optimal riding excitement and controllability
- Best in class, high end asymmetrical swingarm
- Link-type Monocross rear suspension with horizontal adjustable shock mounted directly to the crankcase
- 41mm front forks with 130mm of stroke and narrow 190mm pitch
- 17-inch radial tyres and best in class lightweight 10-spoke cast aluminium wheels
- Dual 282mm wave front discs with monocoque 4-pot opposed piston calipers
- Handlebar-mounted digital instruments with full LED display
Yamaha MT-07LA and MT-07HO specs
- Engine type – 2-Cylinder, liquid-cooled, 4-stroke, DOHC, 4-valves
- Displacement – 689 cm.
- Bore x stroke –
HO: 80.0 mm x 68.6 mm
- LA: 78mm x 68.6mm
- Compression ratio – 11.5 : 1
- Max power
HO: 74.8PS @ 9000 rpm
LA: 52.1PS @ 8000rpm
- Maximum Torque
LA: 57.5Nm @ 4000rpm
HO: 68.0 Nm @ 6500 rpm
- Lubrication system – Wet sump
- Clutch Type – Wet, Multiple Disc
- Fuel Injection
- Ignition system – TCI
- Starter system – Electric
- Transmission system – Constant Mesh, 6-speed
- Final transmission – Chain
- Wet Weight
LAMS ABS: 182kg