Last chance for a KTM 200 EXC
KTM Australia will farewell a deadset off road riding and racing legend in coming months when its existing stocks of KTM 200 EXC machines roll out of dealership doors – for the last time.
A taut, narrow scalpel with the surgical ability to carve singletrack, the 200EXC was personified by a wailing top-end for its size, a surprising amount of grunt off the boil, and an uncanny ability to embarrass bigger bikes in the right conditions.
First seen in Australia in 1998, the machine built a formidable reputation as 200cc of pure weapons-grade off-road racer, with virtually 125 handling, near 250-level power, low weight and easy maintenance.
It was this very combination of features which tore the opposition apart at the highest levels of enduro competition in Australia, with Benny Bunda, Stuart Bennett, Dave Fleming, Chris Birch and Shane Watts all gaining national championships on the 200 EXC.
Its competitiveness in the bush was far from limited to the 200cc category too, as illustrated in the 2006 A4DE when Shane Watts wiped the floor with everyone except KTM’s 10-time world champion Juha Salminen on the little beast.
All good things come to an end however, and the 200 EXC is now officially discontinued. In fact, the last units ever to be released are in the country now, and available from your local KTM dealer, so you’d better drop in fast before this piece of off-road history …becomes history.
KTM 200 EXC Specifications
- Engine: 1-cylinder, 2-stroke engine
- Displacement: 193 cm³
- Bore: 64 mm
- Stroke: 60 mm
- Starter: Kick and electric starter
- Transmission: 6-speed
- Secondary gear ratio: 14:45
- Clutch: Wet, multi-disc clutch, Magura hydraulics
- EMS: Kokusan
- Frame design: Chrome-molybdenum steel central-tube frame
- Front suspension: WP USD Ø 48 mm
- Rear suspension: WP PDS shock absorber
- Suspension travel: (front) 300 mm
- Suspension travel: (rear) 335 mm
- Front brake: 260mm disc
- Rear brake: 220 mm disc
- Steering head angle: 63.5 °
- Wheelbase: 1471 ± 10 mm
- Ground clearance: 355 mm
- Seat height: 960 mm
- Tank capacity: (approx.) 9.5 l
- Weight without fuel: 99.5 kg