Joan Mir increases Moto3 points advantage with a last lap attack
MotoGP 2017 – Round Seven – Catalunya
Joan Mir (Leopard Racing) increased his advantage in the Moto3 title standings once again at the Gran Premi Monster Energy de Catalunya, taking a stunning win to go from third to first in the final sector of the last lap – just following the announcement of his move to Moto2 in 2018.
Romano Fenati (Marinelli Rivacold) was another late attacker to take second, with polesitter Jorge Martin (Del Conca Gresini Moto3) completing the podium at home.
It was Juanfran Guevara (RBA BOE Racing Team) who got the holeshot into Turn 1, as compatriot and polesitter Martin was slow away from the line and dropped back slightly. Fenati soon struck against Guevara for the lead, however, with Championship leader Mir and fellow title hopeful Aron Canet (Estrella Galicia 0,0) then following the Italian through.
As the rhythm started to settle, there was a front group of five who emerged from the melee – Canet, Fenati, Martin, Fabio Di Giannantonio (Del Conca Gresini Moto3) and Mir – with Enea Bastianini (Estrella Galicia 0,0) the man pushing to bridge the gap.
Second row starter Marcos Ramirez (Platinum Bay Real Estate) dropped back slightly in the initial laps to lead the second group in P7, with RBA BOE Racing teammates Gabriel Rodrigo and Juanfran Guevara just tucked in ahead of Niccolo Antonelli (Red Bull KTM Ajo). Rodrigo then crashed out of contention at the final chicane following contact with Ramirez, moving Tatsuki Suzuki (SIC58 Squadra Corse) up a place in the fight.
With Bastianini arrived on the scene, the lead group of six chopped and changed positions – including a run off for ‘Diggia’, but the Italian tagged back onto the rear of the group as Ramirez and Suzuki started to come into contention. Another on the charge was Nicolo Bulega (Sky Racing Team VR46), as the Italian moved through the second group to also try and hunt down the leaders.
After a run off for Ramirez at Turn 1, the Spaniard rejoined just behind the front five as the final laps dawned – with Martin leading Fenati, Bastianini, Mir, Canet and the Platinum Bay Real Estate rider over the line for the last lap.
The tousle for positions saw some signature incredible Moto3 moves as the corners remaining ticked down, with a decisive move from Mir then seeing the Mallorcan mug Martin for the lead, and Fenati sweep around the outside of the polesitter into the final chicane – with both holding their advantages over the line.
Bastianini beat Canet for fourth at the flag, with Ramirez completing another impressive performance to complete the top six. Di Giannantonio took P7, ahead of a stunning ride for Andrea Migno (Sky Racing Team VR46) after the Mugello winner managed to tag onto the frontrunners late on having stormed from P20 on the grid to take eighth. Teammate Nicolo Bulega was P9, with Tatsuki Suzuki completing the top ten in a fantastic result for SIC58 Squadra Corse.
There was drama further back on the final lap, as Guevara came together with Platinum Bay Real Estate rider Darryn Binder and both riders crashed out – with another crash also seeing Jules Danilo (Marinelli Rivacold Snipers) suffer a DNF.
British Talent Team rider John McPhee had a solid comeback ride into P12 from further down the grid, with Philipp Oettl (Südmetall Schedl GP Racing) leading a points for Mahindra rider Marco Bezzechi (CIP) and Bo Bendsneyder (Red Bull KTM Ajo) to lock out the top fifteen.
Next up it’s the historic TT Circuit Assen, with Mir now even further ahead in the standings as he celebrates his latest win – as well as a new three-year deal with EG 0,0 Marc VDS to move up to Moto2 next season.
Catalunya Moto3 Race Results
- Joan MIR SPA Leopard Racing Honda 145.6 42’11.846
- Romano FENATI ITA Marinelli Rivacold Snipers Honda 145.6 +0.191
- Jorge MARTIN SPA Del Conca Gresini Moto3 Honda 145.5 +0.279
- Enea BASTIANINI ITA Estrella Galicia 0,0 Honda 145.5 +0.462
- Aron CANET SPA Estrella Galicia 0,0 Honda 145.5 +0.674
- Marcos RAMIREZ SPA Platinum Bay Real Estate KTM 145.5 +0.740
- Fabio DI GIANNANTONIO ITA Del Conca Gresini Moto3 Honda 145.5 +1.143
- Andrea MIGNO ITA SKY Racing Team VR46 KTM 145.5 +1.389
- Nicolo BULEGA ITA SKY Racing Team VR46 KTM 145.5 +1.662
- Tatsuki SUZUKI JPN SIC58 Squadra Corse Honda 145.5 +1.863
- Niccolò ANTONELLI ITA Red Bull KTM Ajo KTM 145.5 +2.088
- John MCPHEE GBR British Talent Team Honda 145.3 +5.671
- Philipp OETTL GER Südmetall Schedl GP Racing KTM 145.1 +8.631
- Marco BEZZECCHI ITA CIP Mahindra 144.6 +16.603
- Bo BENDSNEYDER NED Red Bull KTM Ajo KTM 144.6 +17.089
- Ayumu SASAKI JPN SIC Racing Team Honda 144.6 +17.128
- Juanfran GUEVARA SPA RBA BOE Racing Team KTM 144.3 +21.614
- Adam NORRODIN MAL SIC Racing Team Honda 144.3 +22.362
- Lorenzo DALLA PORTA ITA Aspar Mahindra Moto3 Mahindra 144.3 +22.718
- Manuel PAGLIANI ITA CIP Mahindra 144.3 +22.754
- Nakarin ATIRATPHUVAPAT THA Honda Team Asia Honda 144.3 +22.888
- Jakub KORNFEIL CZE Peugeot MC Saxoprint Peugeot 144.2 +23.376
- Kaito TOBA JPN Honda Team Asia Honda 144.2 +24.243
- Tony ARBOLINO ITA SIC58 Squadra Corse Honda 143.7 +33.334
- Livio LOI BEL Leopard Racing Honda 143.7 +33.396
- Maria HERRERA SPA AGR Team KTM 143.2 +41.707
- Patrik PULKKINEN FIN Peugeot MC Saxoprint Peugeot 141.6 +1’10.768
- Aleix VIU SPA 42 Motorsport KTM 140.5 +1’33.544
Catalunya Moto3 Championship Points Standings
- Joan MIR Honda SPA 133
- Romano FENATI Honda ITA 88
- Aron CANET Honda SPA 85
- Fabio DI GIANNANTONIO Honda ITA 80
- Andrea MIGNO KTM ITA 76
- Jorge MARTIN Honda SPA 76
- John MCPHEE Honda GBR 67
- Marcos RAMIREZ KTM SPA 53
- Juanfran GUEVARA KTM SPA 50
- Enea BASTIANINI Honda ITA 49
- Nicolo BULEGA KTM ITA 35
- Darryn BINDER KTM RSA 26
- Philipp OETTL KTM GER 25
- Bo BENDSNEYDER KTM NED 17
- Niccolò ANTONELLI KTM ITA 16
- Jules DANILO Honda FRA 16
- Livio LOI Honda BEL 15
- Tatsuki SUZUKI Honda JPN 15
- Ayumu SASAKI Honda JPN 14
- Gabriel RODRIGO KTM ARG 8