2017 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 RR and Tuono Factory
The 175hp Tuono V4 1100 earns EURO4 approval, without sacrificing any performance
The Tuono V4 family of motorbikes is made up of two distinctly outfitted models. Tuono V4 1100 RR represents an exceptional thrill machine, the heir to a dynasty of naked sport bikes acclaimed by critics.
Tuono V4 1100 Factory is the more exclusive version, dedicated to an extremely demanding public; this bike is equipped with components which are largely derived from the Aprilia RSV4 RF superbike.
The evolutionary step that Aprilia presents for 2017 involves both models that, as before, therefore continue to stand out for their factory outfitting and the graphics. The greatest innovations have to do with the Aprilia Tuono V4’s on board electronics, that has always been considered as the best in class, where the APRC system stands out.
Aprilia Performance Ride Control (APRC) is the patented control suite derived directly from the winning technology in World Superbike. The fourth generation of APRC, standard on the Tuono V4 1100, with the electronic management of the new full Ride-by-Wire throttle, has allowed all superfluous throttle body electronic management components to be eliminated.
The repositioning of the inertial platform that allows APRC operation has improved accurate detection of the dynamic conditions of the bike, resulting in more efficient electronic control strategies.
2017 Tuono V4 1100 RR and Tuono V4 1100 Factory APRC key features
- New ATC: Aprilia Traction Control, adjustable on the fly, (without having to release the throttle) to eight-settings thanks to a practical joystick, now has even more fine tuned and higher performance operating logic.
- New AWC: Aprilia Wheelie Control, adjustable to three levels, has new, much more precise operating strategies thanks to the repositioning of the inertial platform. Wheelie control can now be adjusted on the fly without closing the throttle, like the ATC, thanks to the new and more practical left side electric block.
- New ALC: Aprilia Launch Control, for use on the track only, with three settings, uses even more effective new operating strategies.
- New AQS: Aprilia Quick Shift, the electronic gearbox that allows shifting without closing the throttle and without using the clutch, now with the downshift function as well, to allow clutchless downshifting. Its open-throttle downshifting feature is exclusive.
- New APL: Aprilia Pit Limiter, the system that lets you select and limit the top speed allowed in pit lane at the track or simply to make it easier to comply with posted speed limits on the road.
- New ACC: Aprilia Cruise Control. The new electronic management has allows an advanced cruise control system to be introduced, very convenient on longer trips because it lets you maintain the set speed without touching the throttle.
The new Tuono V4 1100 range is fitted with the advanced multimap Cornering ABS system, developed in collaboration with Bosch to guarantee maximum safety on the road, without sacrificing any performance on the track.
The 9.1 MP system, is able to optimise braking and the ABS intervention in corners, thanks to a specific algorithm that constantly monitors various parameters such as lateral acceleration, the pressure applied to the front brake lever, the lean, pitch and yaw angle, modulating the braking action in order to better guarantee the ratio between deceleration and stability.
The new ABS system works in unison with the Aprilia RLM (Rear Liftup Mitigation) system that limits the lift of the rear wheel during more abrupt braking. The Cornering ABS is adjustable to three levels of sensibility and can be switched off.
In order to allow riders with various levels of experience to find the best possible combination, each of the three Cornering ABS maps can be combined with any of the three new engine maps (Sport, Track, Race).
The latter are all three “full power” and differ in the way they dole out the 175 HP of which the Aprilia V4 is capable, in addition to the percentage of engine brake dedicated to them.
The colour TFT digital instrumentation is also entirely new, with exceptional display options such as the two selectable screen pages. There is an optional accessory new version of the V4-MP, the Aprilia multimedia platform now available.
The V4-MP lets you connect your smartphone to the vehicle, introducing a true corner by corner electronic settings calibration system with data that can subsequently be downloaded to your laptop (or displayed directly on the smartphone screen) for analysis, just like they do at the races.
The new V4-MP also adds a new connection protocol that reduces smartphone battery consumption to a minimum, in addition to providing a larger range of circuits already mapped in which you can manage the electronic settings corner by corner, as well as user acquisition of a new circuit that is not in the list Aprilia has provided.
V4-MP includes the new infotainment system, introduced by Aprilia for the first time on the new Tuono V4, to manage voice commands and incoming/outgoing telephone calls with your smartphone.
The Tuono V4 1100 is the only naked powered by a 65° V4 engine with unique characteristics. The narrow V architecture has made it possible to make an engine that is extremely compact lengthways which helps to centralise weights and to have a compact chassis.
The changes made in this evolution of the Italian V4 not only resulted in earning Euro 4 approval, but also in increasing overall reliability and performance, without sacrificing any of the great character and marvellous sound that bikers love so much.
The powerplant earns a new exhaust system with a silencer that has a double oxygen sensor and a built in valve. The engine ECU is new, with superior calculating capacity able to manage the rise in maximum revs, now 500 rpm higher.
In order to guarantee maximum reliability, decreasing friction at the same time, the piston pins have DLC surface treatment, whereas the connecting rod heads boast a surface honing treatment. The combustion chambers are no longer obtained through a fusion process, but by a finer, numerically controlled mechanical process, whereas the gearbox now has a linear sensor that guarantees impeccable gearshift operation.
The new Tuono V4 also introduces important news in the brakes and suspension department. The front Brembo braking system comes directly from the new RSV4 and relies on a pair of new steel discs that have been increased to 330 mm, gripped by the new monobloc M50 callipers and activated by a radial master cylinder on the handlebar.
The Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 Factory also has a prestigious Öhlins NIX fork, with fully adjustable hydraulics and spring preload. This unit saves about 400 grams compared with the previous one and is combined with the same brand rear shock absorber and steering damper (also adjustable).
The new Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 range includes two models distinguished by different technical equipment and different colour schemes: Tuono V4 1100 RR is available in two attractive colour schemes, grigio Portimao and nero Assen.
The Superpole graphic of the Tuono V4 1100 Factory has a decidedly non-conformist spirit, so typical of the Aprilia tradition that demands bright and very distinctive colours.
The Tuono V4 1100 Factory stands out technically because of the most refined trio of Öhlins suspension systems and stylistically because of its magnificent tail fairing (approved for two-up) derived from the RSV4.
The cast aluminium wheel rims are the same for both models, their lightweight quality contributes to a maximum reduction of the gyroscopic effect, all to the advantage of great handling.
The Tuono V4 1100 Factory is shod with the more sporty Pirelli Diablo Supercorsa, with a wider 200/55 on the rear, approved for street use and available for the Tuono V4 RR as well which, on the other hand, comes standard with 190/55 on the rear and new Pirelli Diablo Rosso III tyres.
Aprilia has also designed and developed a wide range of accessories so you can personalise your Tuono V4 1100. These are select high quality items that you can use to increase the performance of your Aprilia Tuono V4, make it more attractive or more comfortable.
These include but are not limited to: Akrapovic slip-on racing exhaust; Complete Akrapovic racing exhaust; Öhlins TTX shock absorbers; Öhlins steering damper (standard on the Tuono V4 1100 Factory); Carbon components – fairings, mudguards, heel guards, made in matte finished carbon fibre; Frame guards; Racing rider footpegs; Inverted racing gear lever; Forged rims; Tank bag; Adjustable license plate bracket, LED turn indicators; Motorcycle cover; V4-MP kit.
2017 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 RR (Factory) Technical Specifications
- Engine – 1077cc, 65°V4-cylinder, four-valve, DOHC
- Bore x Stroke – 81×52.3mm
- Power – 175hp at 11,000rpm
- Torque – 121Nm at 9000rpm
- Induction – Four Weber-Marelli 48mm throttle-bodies, four injectors, RbW
- Gearbox – Six-speed, cassette-type
- Clutch – Multiplate wet clutch with slipper system
- Chassis – Aluminium dual beam chassis, Double braced aluminium swingarm
- Front Suspension – Upside-down “one by one” Sachs fork, Ø 43 mm stanchions (Öhlins fork with TIN surface treatment), full adjustable, 120mm travel
- Rear Suspension – Sachs monoshock with piggy-back, (Öhlins monoshock with piggy-back) fully adjustable, APS progressive linkages, 130 mm travel
- Brakes – Dual Brembo M50 four-piston calipers, 330mm steel discs (F),
single 220mm disc and Brembo two-piston caliper (R), ABS, RLM
- Rims – Cast aluminium, three-split-spoke design, 3.50 x 17in, 6.00 x 17in
- Tyres – 120/70 – 17, 190/55 – 17 (200/55 – 17)
- Seat height – 825mm
- Rake/Trail – 24.7°/ 99.7mm
- Fuel capacity – 18.5L