2020 Yamaha YZF-R1 and YZF-R1M
Yamaha’s 2020 YZF-R1 and YZF-R1M are now arriving on dealership floors across Australia. YMA have confirmed pricing as $26,399 inc GST Ride Away for the YZF-R1, and $34,849 inc GST Ride Away for the R1M.
2020 Yamaha YZF-R1 New Features
- Redesigned cylinder head, fuel injectors, finger-follower rocker arms, and camshaft profiles
- APSG ride-by-wire system with YCC-T
- Brake Control (BC) and Engine Brake Management (EBM) for a total of seven electronic control rider aids
- Öhlins ERS NPX front fork with integrated gas cylinder and optimised rear shock settings (R1M)
- KYB upside-down front fork with new internal shim stack design (R1)
- Optimised settings for linked-type Monocross KYB rear shock (R1)
- Next-generation R-Series redesigned bodywork with outstanding aerodynamic efficiency
- Carbon fibre tail cowl (R1M)
- Bridgestone RS11 Battlax Racing Street tyres
- New front brake pad friction material for excellent control while braking
Refined CP4 Engine
The new 2020 R1M and R1 come equipped with the next generation of Yamaha’s unique 998cc inline four-cylinder crossplane crankshaft engine for refined performance. Returning features such as titanium fracture-split connecting rods and offset cylinders contribute to a responsive and potent character, while the cylinder head, fuel injectors, finger-follower rocker arms, and camshaft profiles are new for 2020.
An all-new Accelerator Position Sensor with Grip (APSG) ride-by-wire system featuring Yamaha’s Chip Controlled Throttle (YCC-T) eliminates throttle cables and reduces weight while providing smoother throttle operation.
Augmented Electronics Package for More Rider Control
The most technologically advanced electronics package in Yamaha’s supersport line-up complements the evolutionary engine of the new 2020 R1M and R1. Yamaha’s proprietary six-axis Inertial Measurement Unit (IMU) continues to be the key feature of the package, and processes real-time vehicle attitude and wheel speed data for new Brake Control (BC) technology that gives riders the option to choose between two intervention modes for enhanced braking control. Riders can select a “BC1” setting for enhanced upright, straight-line braking, or a “BC2” setting for enhanced braking into corners, where intervention timing grows faster the deeper the lean angle becomes.
A new Engine Brake Management (EBM) system also allows the rider to select between three levels of engine braking force to suit their individual preference or riding situation on the road or track. Both the BC and EBM settings are adjustable through onboard Yamaha Ride Control (YRC) and Yamaha’s Y-TRAC smartphone (Android only) and tablet app (Android and iOS).
Enhanced Suspension Performance
Premium Öhlins Electronic Racing Suspension (ERS) has been a staple of the R1M’s chassis performance, and a new NPX pressurised front fork with a gas cylinder built into the front fork axle bracket, along with revised rear shock settings to complement the performance of the front fork, are features of the new 2020 model. With rider adjustability options through YRC settings and Y-TRAC, the new Öhlins ERS suspension package takes the R1M to the next level of performance.
The 2020 YZF-R1 also receives suspension performance enhancements courtesy of a new KYB front fork with a new internal shim stack design, and a KYB rear shock with revised internal settings. Together, the changes result in smoother suspension dampening paired with an improved feeling of contact and grip with the street or track surface.
Advanced Bodywork with Next Generation R-Series Design
Redesigned bodywork contributes to higher-quality performance and a more comfortable rider fit. The new design creates a 5.3% increase in aerodynamic efficiency while reducing wind noise and pressure on the rider when in a tucked position, and improved comfort comes from smoother side sections where the rider’s legs contact the bike. The 2020 R1M also receives a new carbon fibre tail cowl to accompany the existing carbon fibre passenger seat cowl.
New lightweight, compact LED twin headlights optimise illumination for both the low and high beam, and combine with the redesigned body styling to create a new front face symbolising the next-generation of R-Series design.
The new 2020 YZF-R1M will be available in limited quantities in a Carbon Fibre colour scheme, while the new 2020 YZF-R1 will be available in Team Yamaha Blue and Raven colour. Both are available now.
2020 YZF-R1/M Specifications
- Engine type Liquid-cooled inline 4-cylinder DOHC; 16 valves
- Displacement 998cc
- Bore x stroke 79.0mm x 50.9mm
- Compression ratio 13.0 : 1
- Fuel delivery Fuel injection with YCC-T and YCC-I
- Starter system Electric
- Transmission system 6-speed; wet multiplate assist and slipper clutch
- Final Transmission Chain
- Frame Aluminium Deltabox
- Front suspension YZF-R1 43mm KYB inverted fork, fully adjustable; 120mm travel
- Front suspension YZF-R1M 43mm Öhlins® Electronic Racing Suspension NPX fork, fully adjustable; 120mm travel
- Rear suspension YZF-R1 KYB single shock, fully adjustable; 120mm travel
- Rear suspension YZF-R1M Öhlins Electronic Racing Suspension single shock, fully adjustable; 120mm travel
- Front brake Dual 320mm hydraulic disc; Brake Control System and ABS
- Rear brake 220mm hydraulic disc; Brake Control System and ABS
- Front tyre 120/70-R17
- Rear tyre R1- 190/55ZR17 R1M – 200/55ZR17
- Overall length 2055 mm
- Overall width 690 mm
- Overall height 1165 mm
- Seat height 860 mm
- Wheel base 1405 mm
- Wet weight (including full oil and fuel tank) R1 – 201kg / R1M – 202kg
- Fuel tank capacity 17.0L
- Colours R1 – Team Yamaha Blue, Raven R1M – Carbon Fibre