Honda showcase new NC700S naked commuter in Milan
At the heart of the machine is an all-new purpose-built engine. The liquid-cooled, in-line 2-cylinder 670cc engine is a lightweight and compact unit with a low centre of gravity. Honda claims the new powerplant, which also sees duty in the newly announced Integra scooter, offers very usable power delivery with excellent torque at low to medium engine rpm, combined with low exhaust gas emissions and a truly outstanding level of fuel efficiency.
The NC700S promises to be fun and easy to handle thanks to the combination of the steel diamond frame, cast aluminium 17″ wheels, and geometry setup.
The NC700S uses a riding position similar to that of traditional naked motorcycles. Key to the machine’s ease of use is its low seat position and the accessible width of the handlebars. The NC700S also ensures passengers are comfortable, with twin grab handles for comfort and security.
The option of Honda’s Dual Clutch transmission offers either manual shifts at the push of a button or fully automatic functionality. The system uses two electronically controlled clutches to deliver swift and very smooth gear changes in a choice of three modes.
To ensure powerful braking performance, the NC700S uses hydraulic disc brakes front and rear. A Combined Antilock Braking System (C-ABS) is also offered as an option on the NC700S which dramatically improves braking performance in an emergency situation.
With minimal styling to emphasise its urban usability, there is also a secure internal storage space large enough to accommodate a full-face helmet, an unusually practical feature on a naked motorcycle and one not seen since Suzuki’s GSX250 Across many years ago.
The NC700S will be available in Australia in two colour options; Magna Red and Pearl Sunbeam White.
Specifications – Honda NC700S
- Engine – 670cc, Liquid-cooled 4-stroke 8-valve, SOHC parallel 2-cylinder
- Bore x Stroke – 73 x 80mm
- Compression Ratio – 10.7 : 1
- Claimed Power – 47hp (35kW) at 6250rpm
- Claimed Torque – 60Nm at 4750rpm
- Induction – PGM-FI, 36mm throttle body
- Fuel Tank Capacity – 14.1 litres
- Transmission – Conventional six-speed manual or semi-automated dual-clutch six-speed
- Final Drive – Chain
- Dimensions (LxWxH) – 2195mm x 760mm x 1130mm
- Wheelbase – 1525mm
- Caster Angle – 27°
- Trail – 110mm
- Turning Radius – 3.0m
- Seat Height – 790mm
- Ground Clearance – 140mm
- Kerb Weight – 211kg; 215kg with ABS; 227kg with dual-clutch transmission
- Max Carrying Capacity – 209kg
- Front Suspension – 41mm forks, 120mm travel
- Rear Suspension – Pro-Link monoshock, 120mm travel
- Tyres – 120/70-17 (F) / 160/60-17 (R)
- Front Brakes – 320mm single disc with 2-piston (3-piston in ABS model) caliper and sintered metal pads
- Rear Brakes – 240mm single disc
- ETA – Mid 2012
- RRP – TBC
Optional equipment – The versatility of the NC700S can be further enhanced with a range of genuine Honda accessories.
- 35L top box
- 29L pannier kit
- Top box inner bag
- Pannier inner bag set
- Leg deflector kit
- Foot deflector kit
- Grip heater kit
- 12V DC socket kit
- Main stand