Maxwell takes Q1 fastest from Herfoss and Falzon
Sun quickly broke through at Wakefield Park Raceway for Saturday’s morning qualifying sessions, with temperatures quickly rising and the GP Juniors starting the days proceedings before the Supersport 300 class went out on track, with Ford topping the timesheets narrowly ahead of Levy.
Supersport saw Cru Halliday produce a masterclass to top the Q1 session ahead of early leader Lachlan Epis, both riders in the 59s, with Toparis completing the top three.
Superbike would see Wayne Maxwell again continue his domination, this time with Troy Herfoss taking the second fastest spot in Q1, with Daniel Falzon third. Championship leader Staring was fifth fastest, behind Josh Waters.
Superbike – Qualifying 1
Troy Bayliss set out during Qualifying 1 to put in some strong early times, swapping top times with Blair, while Friday’s leaders Maxwell and Falzon joined the session late, both quickly jumping to the top of the timing sheets, with Maxwell setting the first sub 58s time with a 57.522, and quickly followed by Falzon with a 57.862 – placing Falzon close to his Friday best.
With less than five minutes to go Herfoss became the third rider to hit the 57s, with a 57.831, a time that would see him finish the session second fastest, behind Maxwell and narrowly ahead of Falzon.
Maxwell’s 57.522 was enough to top the session on his R1M, mirroring his domination of Friday, where he set a fastest time of 57.182. He also proved consistent, putting down three 57s laps, with Falzon putting down two to his name, and Herfoss one.
Josh Waters was fourth fastest, Bryan Staring fifth, and Troy Bayliss sixth, with neither Waters or Bayliss breaking the 58s mark in Q1, compared to Friday.
Matt Walters crashed his ZX-10R heading onto the back straight, with the rider OK, and sits eighth fastest on the timesheets.
Superbike – Qualifying 1
- Wayne MAXWELL Yamaha YZF-R1M 57.522
- Troy HERFOSS Honda CBR RR SP 57.831
- Daniel FALZON Yamaha YZF-R1M 57.862
- Josh WATERS Suzuki GSXR-R 58.297
- Bryan STARING Kawasaki ZX10R 58.347
- Troy BAYLISS Ducati Panigale FE 58.369
- Michael BLAIR Yamaha YZF-R1 58.401
- Matt WALTERS Kawasaki ZX10R 58.630
- Alex PHILLIS Suzuki GSXR 58.730
- Bradley SWALLOW Kawasaki ZX10R 58.802
- Glenn ALLERTON BMW S RR 58.809
- Jamie STAUFFER Ducati Panigale R 59.306
- Kyle BUCKLEY Kawasaki ZX10R 59.370
- Matt HARDING Kawasaki ZX10R 59.382
- Corey TURNER Suzuki GSXR 59.680
- Ted COLLINS BMW S RR 59.789
- Mitchell LEVY Yamaha YZF-R1 59.870
- Lucas VITALE Kawasaki ZX10R 1:00.046
- Callum SPRIGGS Kawasaki ZX10R 1:00.155
- Mark CHIODO Suzuki GSXR-R 1:00.245
- Arthur SISSIS Suzuki GSXR 1:00.287
- Adam SENIOR Yamaha YZF-R1 1:00.338
- Brendan McINTYRE Suzuki GSXR 1:00.638
- Philip CZAJ Aprilia RSV4 F 1:02.181
- Hamish McMURRAY Kawasaki ZX10R 1:02.637
- Joel RHODES Yamaha YZF-R1 1:02.674
Supersport 300 – Qualifying 1
A highly competitive Supersport 300 Qualifying 1 session saw Hunter Ford take top honours with a 1:07.706 on his seventh lap, narrowly beating Zac Levy who also posted his best time on his seventh lap with a 1:07.716. Third fastest was Locky Taylor with a 1:07.813, with Tayla Relph nipping at his heels with a 1:07.824.
Tom Bramich was fifth, Callum O’Brien sixth and Harry Khoury seventh, with all posting times in the 1:07.9s, with less than a tenth of a second between them.
The session was red flagged and ended 2min30 early with Farrell crashing and requiring medical assistance at Turn 3.
An amendment saw Oli Bayliss’s times ignored due to his bike being taken into garage prior to impound.
Supersport 300 – Qualifying 1 Top 10
- Hunter FORD (NSW) 1:07.706
- Zac LEVY (QLD) 1:07.714
- Locky TAYLOR (QLD) 1:07.813
- Tayla RELPH (QLD) 1:07.824
- Tom BRAMICH (VIC) 1:07.908
- Callum O BRIEN (WA) 1:07.967
- Harry KHOURI (NSW) 1:07.994
- Jarred BROOK (QLD) 1:08.346
- Ben BRAMICH (VIC) 1:08.690
- Max STAUFFER (NSW) 1:08.776
Supersport – Qualifying 1
In Supersport qualifying Lachlan Epis tookan early lead, and was the first rider to dip into the 1:00s, with a 1:00.152, while Liminton and Croker were next fastest.
Epis followed this up by breaking the 1 minute mark, with a 59.815 on his ninth lap – a time he would not better in this session – and seeming untouchable, until Cru Halliday put in a masterclass and took a 59.446, followed by a 59.216 – a time which would ensure his Q1 dominance.
Tom Toparis was third fastest, with a 1:00.078, not quite breaking the 1 minute mark, but particularly impressive considering he only put in two laps, then having a major off at Turn 1, flipping the bike, but seeing him quickly back on his feet.
Broc Pearson was fourth, Jordan Carlsson fifth, Nic Liminton six and Zackary Johnson seventh and the last of the riders below 1:01.
Supersport – Qualifying 1 – Provisional
- Cru HALLIDAY Yamaha YZF- R6 59.216
- Lachlan EPIS Kawasaki ZX6R 59.815
- Tom TOPARIS Kawasaki ZX-6R 1:00.078
- Broc PEARSON Yamaha YZF-R6 1:00.445
- Jordan CARLSSON Yamaha YZF-R6 1:00.635
- Nic LIMINTON Yamaha YZF- R6 1:00.765
- Zackary JOHNSON Yamaha YZF- R6 1:00.926
- Giuseppe SCARCELLA Kawasaki ZX-6R 1:01.012
- Rhys BELLING Yamaha YZF-R6 1:01.022
- Cambridge OLIVIER Yamaha YZF-R6 1:01.131
R3 Cup – Qualifying 1
In the R3 Cup Locky Taylor became early leader, holding a 1:08.026 in his third lap, while Tayla Relph was closest on a 1:08:052, with the session red flagged following Bronson Pickett going down and being taken to the medical centre.
Once riders were back on pace the competition heated up with Taylor putting in a 1:06.853 in the closing seconds of the session, narrowly ahead of Hunter Ford with a .860, while Zac Levy rounded out the top three with a .954, the last of the riders below 1.07s.
R3 Cup – Qualifying 1 – Provisional
- Locky TAYLOR Yamaha YZF-R3 1:06.853
- Hunter FORD Yamaha YZF-R3 1:06.860
- Zac LEVY Yamaha YZF-R3 1:06.954
- Tom BRAMICH Yamaha YZF-R3 1:07.348
- Harry KHOURI Yamaha YZF-R3 1:07.656
- John LYTRAS Yamaha YZF-R3 1:07.664
- Callum OBRIEN Yamaha YZF-R3 1:07.788
- Tayla RELPH Yamaha YZF-R3 1:07.862
- Max STAUFFER Yamaha YZF-R3 1:07.981
- Travis HALL Yamaha YZF-R3 1:08.800
- Troy RYAN Yamaha YZF-R3 1:08.844
- Mitch KUHNE Yamaha YZF-R3 1:09.100 17
- Dan THOMAS Yamaha YZF-R3 1:09.979 10
- Bronson PICKETT Yamaha YZF-R3 1:10.225
- Jake BRETT Yamaha YZF-R3 1:10.739 8
- James WENSEMIUS Yamaha YZF-R3 1:10.821
- Zane FORD Yamaha YZF-R3 1:10.889
- Keegan PICKERING Yamaha YZF-R3 1:10.941
- Zylas BUNTING Yamaha YZF-R3 1:11.479
- Ryan MOSCARDINI Yamaha YZF-R3 1:12.134
- Mark BOTTOMLEY Yamaha YZF-R3 1:15.471
2018 ASBK Round 2 Schedule – Wakefield Park
ASBK Championship Points Standings
- Bryan Staring 60
- Josh Waters 59
- Troy Herfoss 59
- Troy Bayliss 51
- Daniel Falzon 47
- Wayne Maxwell 43
- Michael Blair 41
- Matt Walters 37
- Aaron Morris 37
- Alex Phillis 31
- Glenn Allerton 25
- Mark Chiodo 21
- Mitch Rees 20
- Aaiden Coote 18
- Corey Turner 17
- Ted Collins 15
- Mitch Levy 11
- Kyle Buckley 11
- Mike Jones 9
- Callum Spriggs 8
Australian Supersport Standings
- Tom TOPARIS (QLD) 75
- Cru HALLIDAY (NSW) 60
- Broc PEARSON (QLD) 50
- Damon REES (NZ) 44
- Zackary JOHNSON (VIC) 42
- Rhys BELLING (VIC) 38
- Nic LIMINTON (SA) 36
- Aidan HAYES (QLD) 32
- Giuseppe SCARCELLA (NSW) 31
- Scott NICHOLSON (VIC) 31
- Dallas SKEER (SA) 29
- Brendan CLARKE (QLD) 28
- Luke MITCHELL (NSW) 25
- Matt BARTON (VIC) 24
- Thomas BRYDEN (NSW) 18
- Max CROKER (NSW) 18
- Jack PASSFIELD (NSW) 16
- Ryan TAYLOR (VIC) 15
- Scott CHAPMAN (NSW) 10
- Steve HASLAM (NSW) 3
2018 ASBK Calendar
- Round 2- Wakefield Park Raceway, Goulburn NSW March 16 – 18
- Round 3- The Bend Motorsport Park, Tailem Bend, SA April 19 – 22
- Round 4- Hidden Valley Raceway, Darwin NT June 28 – 1 July
- Round 5- Morgan Park Raceway, Warwick QLD August 17 – 19
- Round 6- Winton Motor Raceway, Benalla, VIC September 7 – 9
- Round 7- Phillip Island Grand Prix Circuit, VIC October 12 – 14
ASBK Goes Live
ASBK recently announced its live coverage package for the 2018 season and fans will have three different options to watch this weekend’s racing on SBS, Fox Sports and livestream on Sunday March 18. With so much at stake, fan’s will have to tune in to watch the thrilling racing ASBK has to offer.
SBS Australia 1:00pm – 3:00pm AEDT
FOX Sports Australia Channel 501 1:00pm – 4:00pm AEDT
ASBK.com.au Livestream from 9:30am AEDT