ASBK 2018 – Round Six – Winton
Troy Bayliss topped the opening 30-minute practice session this morning on a cool track at Winton Motor Raceway with a 1m21.410. There had been some rain overnight that saw riders greeted with a drying track first thing but by the time FP1 got underway at 1031 that track was in pretty good shape.
The track temperature had gone from 25-degrees in that opening session to 32.5-degrees by the time FP2 came around at 1337. On the warmer track it was ASBK Championship leader Troy Herfoss that topped the second session on his 15th lap of FP2, a 1m20.697 enough to see off Wayne Maxwell’s best of 1m20.769.
The track temperature actually cooled again a little for FP3 and it was Wayne Maxwell that mastered the conditions best to top the day with a 1m20.351 on his 14th lap of the 18 he completed in the third and final 30-minute session of the day.
Daniel Falzon was second quickest in the final session but his 1m20.718 was not good enough to displace Herfoss from second on the combined time sheets. The Honda man put in a 1m20.867 in FP3 but his 1m20.697 from FP2 remained good enough to hold on to P2.
Josh Waters managed to lap quicker than Troy Bayliss in FP3 to push the three-time World Champ down to fifth on combined times ahead of Bryan Staring and Mark Chiodo.
Ted Collins was perhaps the surprise packet of the day with a 1m21.755 catapulting the young BMW rookie up eighth on the timesheets ahead of Jamie Stauffer while ex speedway star Arthur Sissis rounded out the top ten.
Conditions are forecast to be much the same all weekend. Cool mornings followed by mild days in the high teens but very little chance of rain, but I guess anything can happen…
Winton Friday Practice Combined Times Superbike
- Wayne MAXWELL (VIC) Yamaha 1:20.351
- Troy HERFOSS (QLD) Honda 1:20.697
- Daniel FALZON (SA) Yamaha 1:20.718
- Josh WATERS (VIC) Suzuki 1:20.995
- Troy BAYLISS (QLD) Ducati 1:21.044
- Bryan STARING (WA) Kawasaki 1:21.577
- Mark CHIODO (VIC) Suzuki 1:21.613
- Ted COLLINS (VIC) BMW 1:21.755
- Jamie STAUFFER (NSW) Ducati 1:21.854
- Arthur SISSIS (SA) Honda 1:22.077
- Kyle BUCKLEY Kawasaki 1:22.234
- Alex PHILLIS (VIC) Suzuki 1:22.360
- Mitch REES (NZ) Honda 1:22.611
- Matt WALTERS (NSW) Kawasaki 1:22.970
- Corey TURNER (QLD) Honda 1:23.418
- Glenn SCOTT (NSW) Kawasaki 1:23.551
- Mitch LEVY (NSW) Yamaha 1:23.602
- Sloan FROST (NZ) Suzuki 1:24.264
- Adam SENIOR (WA) Yamaha 1:25.115
- Brendan McINTYRE (NSW) Suzuki 1:25.147
- Phil CZAJ (VIC) Aprilia 1:25.362
- Yannis SHAW (NSW) Kawasaki 1:25.780
- Nathan SPITERI (VIC) Suzuki 1:26.201
- Evan BYLES (SA) Kawasaki 1:26.532
- Mason COOTE (VIC) Kawasaki 1:27.364
- Heath GRIFFIN (NSW) Ducati 1:27.368
- Patrick Jun LI (VIC) Yamaha 1:27.802
- Hamish McMURRAY (NSW) Kawasaki 1:27.886
- Brian KOZAN (VIC) BMW 1:29.071
Current Kawasaki Supersport points leader Cru Halliday (Yamaha Racing Team, YZF-R6) has sent a warning to his competition, collecting the fastest lap and showing great speed around with a 1:23.200, and will be looking to qualify fastest tomorrow.
Overnight there was quite a bit of rain around Winton and with that many of the riders chose to skip the first practice session to save tires. As the day went on the sun dried out the track and conditions were great for the afternoon session.
In his return to ASBK, Nic Liminton (Yamaha YZF-R6) made it look like he never left picking up the second fastest lap of the day. His time of 1:24.237 will give Liminton great confidence heading into qualifying.
Continuing his strong form in the Kawasaki Supersport class is New Zealand rider Damon Rees (Carl Cox M-Sport, Honda CBR-RR) clocking the third fastest lap around Winton. Currently sitting third in the championship standings, Rees stopped the clock at 1:24.276.
Max Croker (Mat Mladin Racing, Suzuki GSX-R) enjoyed his time out on Winton, finding his best time in the final session, a 1:24.576. After missing the podium in both races at Morgan Park, Croker will be looking to bounce back at Winton.
Rounding out the top five, was usual front runner Tom Toparis (Cube Racing, Kawasaki ZX-6R) who will be definitely looking to improve in tomorrow qualifying sessions. The Kawasaki rider set a best lap of 1:24.787, to battle with Halliday he will need to find just over one and a half seconds.
Just outside the top five was Broc Pearson (Yamaha Australia, Yamaha YZF-R6) who made a welcome return to the field at Morgan Park. Pearson will be looking to find his early season form and has put himself in a good position heading into qualifying tomorrow, his best lap was a 1:24.955.
After a weekend he would rather forget at Morgan Park, Giuseppe Scarcella (BCperformance, Kawasaki ZX-6R) found himself seventh fastest on the time-sheet with a 1:25.234. Scarcella will be looking to gain back valuable points as he slipped to ninth in the Championship race.
Scott Nicholson (NextGen Motorsports, Suzuki GSX-R) got around the Winton circuit in 1:25.570, ending today’s free practice in eighth position.
The top ten was rounded out by Zac Johnson (Rebuilder, Yamaha YZF-R6) in ninth with a 1:25.703 and in tenth was Lachlan Epis (ResponseRE, Yamaha YZF-R6) after ending free practice with a 1:26.163.
Winton Friday Practice Combined Times Supersport
- Cru HALLIDAY (NSW) 1:23.300
- Nic LIMINTON (SA) 1:24.237
- Damon REES (NZ) 1:24.276
- Max CROKER (NSW) 1:24.576
- Tom TOPARIS (NSW) 1:24.787
- Broc PEARSON (QLD) 1:24.955
- Giuseppe SCARCELLA (NSW) 1:25.324
- Scott NICHOLSON (VIC) 1:25.570
- Zac JOHNSON (VIC) 1:25.703
- Lachlan EPIS (NSW) 1:26.163
Max Stauffer (Rock Oil, Yamaha YZF-R3) looked in great shape for practice day at Winton Motor Raceway, setting the fastest time of the day for Australian Supersport 300.
Stauffer looked lightning quick around Winton on his Yamaha and had considerable margin to second fastest, Zac Levy (Puma RV’s, Yamaha YZF-R3). The gap between the two was .560 of a second.
Easing into the weekend was Championship leader, Tom Bramich (JLT, Yamaha YZF-R3) with the third quickest time. The Yamaha mounted rider is the master of biding his time and delivering speed when it matters. Keep an eye out for him come race one tomorrowas he looks to further extend his points lead.
Hunter ‘Podium Hunter’ Ford has been one of the ‘In Form’ riders lately for this class, taking out multiple victories this season. He managed fourth fastest on his Yamaha.
Locky Taylor (Shark Leathers, Yamaha YZF-R3) will be looking to bounce back after an inconsistent showing at Morgan Park, where he failed to score points in race two of Morgan Park. He has the talent to challenge for wins soon, so he will be one to watch.
Winton Friday Practice Combined Times Supersport 300
- Max STAUFFER (NSW) Yamaha 1:32.144
- Zac LEVY (QLD) Yamaha 1:32.704
- Tom BRAMICH (VIC) Yamaha 1:32.860
- Hunter FORD (NSW) Yamaha 1:33.019
- Locky TAYLOR (QLD) Yamaha 1:33.043
- Zane FORD (NSW) Yamaha 1:33.153
- Oli BAYLISS (QLD) Kawasaki 1:33.674
- Joel KELSO (NT) Kawasaki 1:33.836
- Tayla RELPH (QLD) Yamaha 1:34.035
- Troy RYAN (NSW) Yamaha 1:34.319
YMF R3 Cup
Max Stauffer (Rock Oil, Yamaha YZF-R3) continues to display great pace at Winton Motor Raceway and if he maintains this level of competitiveness he could be in with a shot of victory tomorrow. The Yamaha mounted rider is clicking with Winton Motor Raceway with a fastest lap time of 1:32.065.
Tom Bramich (JLT, Yamaha YZF-R3) set the second quickest time to state his intentions here at Winton. Interestingly Bramich only sits third in the standings for this class, whilst being far more competitive in Australian Supersport 300 with the points lead. Bramich lodged a fastest time of 1:32.305.
Locky Taylor (Shark Leathers, Yamaha YZF-R3) was third fastest and looks set to battle it out amongst the front runners with his time of 1:32.440. Hunter Ford and Zac Levy completed the top five with quickest times of 1:32.910 and 1:33.426.
Winton Friday Practice Combined Times YMF R3 Cup
- Max STAUFFER (NSW) Yamaha 1:32.065
- Tom BRAMICH (VIC) Yamaha 1:32.305
- Locky TAYLOR (QLD) Yamaha 1:32.440
- Hunter FORD (NSW) Yamaha 1:32.910
- Zac LEVY (QLD) Yamaha 1:33.426
- Tayla RELPH (QLD) Yamaha 1:33.827
- Troy RYAN (NSW) Yamaha 1:33.962
- Harry KHOURI (NSW) Yamaha 1:33.975
- Luke POWER (VIC) Yamaha 1:34.214
- Bronson PICKETT (WA) Yamaha 1:34.438
GP Juniors Cup
Joel Kelso (JDS Moto, Yamaha YZF-R15) has recorded the fastest lap time of the free practice for the GP Juniors Cup, and his time of 1:45.842 puts him in a good position here at the Yamaha Motor Finance Australian Superbike Championship presented by Motul Pirelli (ASBK).
A rider with a busy schedule this weekend competing in three classes is Max Stauffer (Rock Oil, Yamaha YZF-R15) and he has started off well, clocking the second fastest time of 1:47.521.
Luke Power (G.Williams Eng, Yamaha YZF-R15) collected a time of 1:47.569, which was the third fastest lap around the Winton circuit.
In fourth position was John Lytras (Caboolture Yamaha, Yamaha YZF-R15), who continues his good season to date with a time of 1:48.402. Lytras will be looking to qualify well tomorrow and set himself up for race one.
Rounding out the top five was Harrison Voight (Voight Contracting, Yamaha YZF-R15), clocking in a time of 1:48.771. Just behind Voight was Angus Grenfell (ABU Engineering, Yamaha YZF-R15) who scored sixth position with a lap time of 1:54.072.
Rounding out the field in seventh position was Josh Noden (J.B.J Builders, Yamaha YZF-R15), followed closely behind by Jamie Port (Mum and Dad Racing, Yamaha YZF-R15) in eighth position, who registered times of 1:57.646 and 1:59.960 respectively.
The GP Juniors Cup will be back on track tomorrow with two qualifying sessions at 9:25am and 11:45am, before race one kicks off in the afternoon at 2:05pm.
ASBK GP Juniors Cup Free Practice Provisional Times
- Joel KELSO (JDS Moto, Yamaha YZF-R15) 1:45.842
- Max STAUFFER (Rock Oil, Yamaha YZF-R15) 1:47.521
- Luke POWER (G.Williams Eng., Yamaha YZF-R15) 1:47.569
- John LYTRAS (Caboolture Yamaha, Yamaha YZF-R15) 1:48.402
- Harrison VOIGHT (Voight Contracting, Yamaha YZF-R15) 1:48.771
- Angus GRENFELL (ABU Engineering, Yamaha YZF-R15) 1:54.072
- Josh NODEN (J.B.J Builders, Yamaha YZF-R15) 1:57.646
- Jamie PORT (Mum and Dad Racing, Yamaha YZF-R15) 1:59.960