FIM Cross-Country Rallies World Champion
Red Bull KTM Factory Racing rider Toby Price has won the 2018 FIM Cross-Country Rallies World Championship with victory at the final round of the season – the Rally du Maroc. His win in Morocco elevated the former Dakar winner to the top of the championship standings, allowing the Australian to claim his first ever world title.
Winning two of the five stages of the Rally du Maroc, as well as the short, opening Prologue, Price secured the overall win ahead of his teammate Mathias Walkner with a comfortable margin of over seven minutes.
With his nearest title rival Pablo Quintanilla finishing in fourth place overall, Toby leapfrogged the Chilean rider in the standings to claim the championship by a six-point margin.
Toby’s journey to the 2018 FIM Cross-Country Rallies World Championship title has not been an easy one. A crash at the 2017 Dakar Rally forced him to retire early from the event with Price subsequently spending much of the year recovering from the broken femur he sustained. Returning to competition at the 2018 Dakar last January, Price impressed with his outright speed, ultimately taking two stage wins and finishing in third position overall.
Riding with great consistency throughout the 2018 season has paid off for Price. Multiple stage wins as well as podiums at the Atacama Rally and Desafio Ruta 40, added to his win in Morocco, have resulted in the 31-year-old becoming a worthy 2018 FIM Cross-Country Rallies World Champion.
“What an amazing season – I can’t believe it. It’s been a tough one and I didn’t expect to be at the top of the list at the end of it. I had some bad luck back in Abu Dhabi at the beginning of the year, but after that every rally has gone well and I’ve finished on the podium at every round. To win the world championship with a win here in Morocco makes it all that little bit sweeter. If I am honest, I was nervous out there on the final stage today, there are no guarantees in rally racing, especially when I had to lead the stage out. This is my first world championship in any category so I am so, so happy. It’s all credit to my team and everyone at Red Bull KTM, without them behind me I wouldn’t be standing on the top step. I’m standing on the top of the world and it’s the best feeling ever.”
2018 Cross-Country Rallies – Rally Morocco 2018 – Final Standings
- PRICE Toby AUS Red Bull KTM Rally Factory Team KTM 16:08’37
- WALKNER Matthias AUT Red Bull KTM Rally Factory Team KTM +7’32
- BRABEC Ricky 11 USA Monster Energy Honda Team Honda +16’35
- QUINTANILLA Pablo CHI Husqvarna Factory Rally Team Husqvarna +34’52
- GONCALVES Paulo 4 POR Monster Energy Honda Team Honda +49’14
- VAN BEVEREN Adrien FRA Yamalube Yamaha Official Rally Team Yamaha +57’03
- SHORT Andrew 12 USA Husqvarna Factory Rally Team Husqvarna +1:24’17
- CORNEJO José Ignacio 15 CHI Monster Energy Honda Team Honda +1:25’58
- SUNDERLAND Sam GBR Red Bull KTM Rally Factory Team KTM +2:10’24
- SVITKO Stefan SLO Slovnaft Team KTM +2:14’00
Final Standings – 2018 FIM Cross-Country Rallies World Championship
- Toby Price (AUS), KTM, 91 points
- Pablo Quintanilla (CHL), Husqvarna, 85pts
- Matthias Walkner (AUT), KTM, 75pts
- Paulo Goncalves (POR), Honda, 70pts
- Kevin Benavides (ARG), Honda, 56pts