2015 Yamaha TMAX released – Key upgrades and a Special Edition announced
When the original TMAX was launched in 2001 it caused scooter riders to sit up and take notice. This was a design like no other, and added a whole new dimension to the world of two wheels.
With its motorcycle performance and scooter comfort and convenience, this innovative and ground breaking model was responsible for the creation of a whole new sector in the two-wheeled marketplace.
Market leading super scooter TMAX receives a host of upgrades for 2015 plus a new Iron Max Special Edition (above)
The era of the maxi-scooter had arrived, and over the past decade the TMAX has gone on to become one of the most enduring and successful models ever created by Yamaha, with more than 200,000 units sold. During this period the model has undergone a series of major evolutionary changes that have kept it at the forefront of the maxi scooter market, and although many new competitors have arrived, the TMAX is still by far the best selling model in the category.
Yamaha’s research has shown that the TMAX inspires a high level of loyalty amongst its many thousands of owners, and each year a significant proportion of new sales are made to customers who are trading up from an older model TMAX. This unprecedented level of customer loyalty reflects the timeless and ongoing appeal of this model, and it reinforces Yamaha’s engineers’ commitment to ensuring that the needs and desires of our customers are the key target when any technical or stylistic change are introduced.
For 2015 YMA has revealed a new TMAX as well as the special version of this maxi scooter: Iron Max. Building on the enviable reputation of their top-selling predecessors, these latest models share the same advanced engine and chassis specification and benefit from the same improvements for 2015, with the main differences being stylistic changes.
Both models now feature ABS braking as standard equipment.
2015 TMAX – Every change to the design and specification of this best selling model is made with the tastes and needs of our sophisticated and well informed customers in mind. These include:
- ABS fitted as standard – Research shows that with no gearbox to assist engine braking, many scooter riders prefer to ride with an anti-lock braking system. TMAX braking excellence is ensured with supersport spec radial mount calipers, twin front discs and now ABS on both front and rear brakes to help prevent wheel lock up in slippery conditions.
- Redesigned front cowl – For 2015 the latest TMAX’s new-look face is equipped with angular new LED dual headlights, and the refreshed front-end design also features a central diffuser that replaces the previous model’s position light. Located below the screen, this delta-shaped diffuser is designed to smooth out the airflow across the cowl and screen for better wind protection.
- New look mirrors feature longer and higher stems for improved manoeuvrability in confined spaces, and the Yamaha tuning fork logo is positioned lower on the cowl to emphasise the sporty new lines.
- Lightweight full LED dual headlights – For the first time in its illustrious 14-year history, the TMAX is equipped with full LED headlights that offer the multiple advantages of being light, powerful and energy efficient. The new LED dual headlights are located slightly higher in the redesigned cowl for 2015, and this gives a lighter and more compact look.
- Another new feature is that the both of the LED headlights are always on – whether the switch is set to low beam or high beam mode – and this feature reinforces the scooter’s charismatic and distinctive ‘two-eyed’ impression all the time. The TMAX’s iconic look is accentuated by the adoption of dual LED position lights that shine through boomerang-shaped lenses, giving this class-leading sport scooter enormous visibility on the street, in the day or at night-time.
- New upside down forks – The TMAX is justifiably famous for its motorcycle-style riding feeling, and the adoption of new upside down front forks for the 2015 model year is sure to further improve its reputation for unique and sporty handling performance. The new forks are equipped with strong and light 41mm diameter inner tubes, and as well as ensuring a precise steering feel and excellent high speed handling characteristics, this new front end reduces unsprung weight to give plush and responsive suspension characteristics for a more comfortable ride. New TMAX has USD front forks. Silver on the standard model (above) and gold on Iron Max SE version
- New front mudguard – Complementing the new upside down front forks is a redesigned front mudguard that gives the 2015 model a more refined and sporty image. With a wide, downward slanting front section and deep, angular sides, the mudguard protects the new forks and enhances the aerodynamics.
- Radial-mount front brake calipers – Radial mount front brake calipers were originally developed for our supersport motorcycle range, and the latest TMAX is the first Yamaha scooter to be equipped with this high-performance system. A special feature of the new caliper design is that the mounting bolts are positioned facing forwards – rather than at 90 degrees to the discs – to give excellent rigidity balance and improved feel. The newly designed 4-pot opposed piston calipers are coupled with dual 267mm diameter floating discs that offer strong and effective braking performance.
- High quality sports instrumentation – The new TMAX is fitted with a sophisticated and sporty instrument panel that features twin circular analogue dials for the speedometer and tachometer, with precision look needles and numbers on black backgrounds – and for enhanced style and clarity the backlighting colour changes to red for the new model.
- Smartkey ignition and immobiliser system – For added convenience the 2015 TMAX adopts a new Smartkey system. All the time that the rider is carrying the new key fob on their person they will be able to start the scooter simply by pressing a button. The new Smartkey system is also designed to control the remote engine immobilising functions including the steering lock and the seat opening, while the front storage lock and fuel cap lock require physical key insertion. Smartkey press button ignition now features – no more key fob fascia damage Featuring a high quality metallic chrome finish with an engraved tuning fork logo, the new Smartkey highlights the sophisticated design of the renewed TMAX, and makes for easier and simpler operation.
- New 12V outlet – Another feature that gives improved functionality is the new 12V outlet, enabling the rider to plug in a number of devices for personal use.
* The original and definitive maxi scooter
* Europe’s top selling model in the class
* ABS fitted as standard
* Dynamic design with unique TMAX DNA
* Liquid-cooled 530cc 2-cylinder 4-stroke engine
* Strong torque for outstanding acceleration
* Lightweight die-cast aluminium frame
* Motorcycle-type belt transmission
* Dual 267mm front discs with new radial calipers
* Large diameter 5-spoke aluminium wheels
* 2-step adjustable windscreen
* Underseat storage and glovebox
TMAX IRON MAX
The Iron Max is equipped with a number of exclusive features that make it the most remarkable model in the Yamaha scooter line-up.
The new upside down forks benefit from a gold coloured finish to the outer tubes, and along with the matching gold coloured front caliper caps, this high quality front end projects an exclusive image.
Iron Max has gold highlight stitching in the special seat to complement its Liquid Darkness colour scheme
Rider and passenger comfort is assured thanks to a specially made two-tone textured dual seat, and this special edition scooter also features aluminium footplates and special emblems on the instruments and tailpiece.
The sophisticated and sporty instrument panel features twin circular analogue dials for the speedometer and tachometer, with precision look needles and numbers on black backgrounds – and for enhanced style and clarity the backlighting colour changes to white.
To underline its unique appearance, Yamaha has developed an all-new colour specifically for this Special Edition model. Designed to give the TMAX Iron Max a truly different and original look, the new Liquid Darkness colour finish is complemented by matt black wheels with grey pinstripes.
TMAX IRON MAX – Exclusive features
* Gold-coloured upside down front forks
* Brake caliper caps gold finished
* Special new TMAX Iron Max seat
* Matt black wheel with grey pinstripes
* Special metallic accents on inner headlamps
* Aluminium footplates
* Instrument panel with special finishing and white backlight
* Special name emblems on instruments and tail
* Dedicated Special Edition colour option
2015 Yamaha TMAX specifications
- Engine type – Forward-inclined parallel 2-cylinder, liquid-cooled, 4-stroke, DOHC, 4-valves
- Displacement – 530.0cc
- Bore x stroke – 68.0 mm x 73.0 mm
- Compression ratio – 10:9 : 1
- Lubrication system – Dry sump
- Fuel system – Fuel Injection
- Ignition system – TCI
- Starter system – Electric
- Transmission system – V-Belt Automatic