2016 Le Mans MotoGP Images Gallery A
2016 Le Mans MotoGP Images Gallery A – Images by AJRN
Victory sees Lorenzo move to the top of the championship with 90 points, Marquez forced to concede his advantage after the crash. Rossi stays third and is 12 points behind Lorenzo. Marquez, Lorenzo and Rossi now have a mistake each to their name and with only 12 points between them in the championship; the season is only just getting started.
Dani Pedrosa (Repsol Honda Team) was unable to close the gap to Viñales despite his best efforts and settled for fourth. Pol Espargaro was once again the fastest Independent Team rider as he ended Tech 3’s home round in a credible fifth ahead of his brother.
Aleix Espargaro (Team Suzuki Ecstar), Danilo Petrucci (Octo Pramac Yakhnich), Hector Barbera (Avintia Racing), Alvaro Bautista (Aprilia Racing Team Gresini) and Stefan Bradl (Aprilia Racing Team Gresini) completed the top ten. Of the 21 riders on the grid, 13 finished the race.
Scott Redding (Octo Pramac Yakhnich) retired from the race early on, followed by Yonny Hernandez (Aspar Team MotoGP) who crashed from the race on lap seven.
While running inside the top ten, Jack Miller (Estrella Galicia 0,0 Marc VDS) suffered a fall, the French GP a war of attrition. Turn 7 claimed yet another victim as Bradley Smith crashed out of his team’s home race.
The race was staged in warm, but overcast conditions, with air temperatures at a pleasant 22°C, and track temperatures reaching 35°C. A huge crowd of 99,053 packed the circuit, making it the biggest Le Mans race-day crowd of the MotoGP era.
All riders – with the exception of Yonny Hernandez – used the new less stiff construction soft compound rear tyre, which was available for the first time this season and developed especially for Le Mans after riders requested to have less spinning on the rear following the last race at Jerez, only two-weeks ago.
The MotoGP World Championship now heads to Mugello, Rossi’s home round but one where Lorenzo has been the man to beat in recent years. Once again it looks set to be a thrilling weekend in the Tuscan hills.
MotoGP Race Results
1 – Jorge Lorenzo (SPA) YAMAHA 43’51.290
2 – Valentino Rossi (ITA) YAMAHA +10.654
3 – Maverick Viñales (SPA) SUZUKI + 14.177
MotoGP 2016 – Round Five – Le Mans – World Championship Points Standings
- Jorge Lorenzo (SPA) Movistar Yamaha MotoGP 90
- Marc Marquez (SPA) Repsol Honda Team 85
- Valentino Rossi (ITA) Movistar Yamaha MotoGP 78
- Dani Pedrosa (SPA) Repsol Honda Team 53
- Maverick Viñales (SPA) Team Suzuki Ecstar 49
- Pol Espargarò (SPA) Monster Yamaha Tech3 47
- Aleix Espargarò (SPA) Team Suzuki Ecstar 42
- Hector Barbera (SPA) Avintia Racing 39
- Eugene Laverty (IRL) Aspar Team MotoGP 33
- Andrea Iannone (ITA) Ducati Team 25
- Stefan Bradl (GER) Aprilia Racing Team Gresini 23
- Andrea Dovizioso (ITA) Ducati Team 23
- Alvaro Bautista (SPA) Aprilia Racing Team Gresini 21
- Bradley Smith (GBR) Monster Yamaha Tech3 20
- Scott Redding (GBR) Octo Pramac Yakhnich 16
- Michele Pirro (ITA) Octo Pramac Yakhnich 12
- Tito Rabat (SPA) Estrella Galicia 0,0 Marc VDS 11
- Danilo Petrucci (ITA) Octo Pramac Yakhnich 9
- Loris Baz (FRA) Avintia Racing 8
- Cal Crutchlow (GBR) LCR Honda 5
- Yonny Hernandez (COL) Aspar Team MotoGP 3
- Jack Miller (AUS) Estrella Galicia 0,0 Marc VDS 2