2017 BMW F 800 GS, F 800 GS Adventure and F 700 GS Revealed
As before, the new F 700 GS is mainly aimed at motorcyclists who like the ride feel of an enduro but do not require quite so much off-road competence. Its strengths are a lower seat height, all-round capabilities and more than sufficient power, along with excellent fuel efficiency and everyday qualities.
The new F 800 GS combines road and travel suitability with distinct off-road talents, combining these abilities at a level that is unique within its class.
Based on the F 800 GS, the F 800 GS Adventure particularly offers enhanced travel suitability even in the most remote corners of the planet. For touring motorcyclists with a bent for off-road riding, globetrotters and travel enduro riders it provides a genuine BMW GS Adventure concept in the mid-range segment.
The 798 cc engines have been adapted to the EU4 regulations for model year 2017. The visual hallmark here is the newly designed end piece of the stainless steel tailpipe. The HP sports exhaust by Akrapovic has also been redesigned and is available as an Original BMW Motorrad accessory.
Electromotive throttle controller for further improved response and the modes “Rain”, “Road”, “Enduro” and “Enduro Pro” to cater for individual rider preferences.
An electromotive throttle controller now passes on the rider’s commands directly from a sensor on the twist grip to the engine control system and therefore to the throttle valve. The result is even finer controllability and an improved response. At the same time, this also enables the new standard riding modes “Rain” and “Road” to be used for riding on damp or dry surfaces as well as the modes “Enduro” and “Enduro Pro” – available as an ex works option (for the F 800 GS / F 800 GS Adventure only) – which are designed for lighter and more intense off-road use respectively.
The new F 700 GS, F 800 GS and F 800 GS Adventure are fitted with newly designed and more easily readable dials. An additional Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) ensures the EU4 norm is met, while the display has been extended to include riding mode information.
Powerful yet distinct character qualities are expressed in three paint finish/style variants for each of the new F 700 GS and F 800 GS, and there are two additional paint finishes for the BMW 800 GS Adventure fitted with new galvanised radiator trim elements, a new intake silencer cover and a new ignition lock casing.
An overview of the highlights
- Adaptation to EU4 requirements.
- Newly designed end piece of the standard tailpipe and HP sports silencer by Akrapovic available as an Original BMW Motorrad accessory.
- Electromotive throttle controller for improved response and controllability.
- Riding modes “Rain” and “Road” as standard. Riding modes “Enduro” and “Enduro Pro” (only F 800 GS / F 800 GS Adventure) as an ex works option.
- Instrument panel with new dials, MIL indicator lamp and riding mode display.
- Dynamic paint finish and style concepts.
- Side reflectors on fork slider tubes and fixed fork tubes.
The new 2017 BMW F 700 GS, F 800 GS and F 800 GS Adventure in more detail
Ever since BMW Motorrad expanded the BMW enduro family in 2007 with the addition of the F series GS models for the entry-level and mid-range class, these motorcycles have become well established with their excellent all-round qualities: lots of riding fun, simple and secure control on all surfaces and plenty of pushing power and endurance when travelling – even when the journey happens to take the rider off the beaten track. For the new model year 2017, BMW Motorrad has now optimised and honed the qualities of the mid- range segment models once again.
In all three motorcycles, the distinctive liquid-cooled 4-valve 2-cylinder engine with fuel injection and 6-speed gearbox ensures powerful forward thrust as before. It has now been adjusted to meet the new EU4 regulations, however. The visual hallmark of the adapted engines is the newly designed end piece of the stainless steel tailpipe.
With 55 kW (75 hp) at 7000 rpm and a maximum torque of 77 Nm at 5500 rpm, the new F 700 GS offers punchy engine performance, pulling power and low fuel consumption.
The F 800 GS and F 800 GS Adventure also rely on the 2-cylinder with 798 cc, here generating 63 kW (85 hp) at 7500 rpm and a maximum torque of 83 Nm at 5750 rpm.
Another unique feature in serial production motorcycle manufacture is the mass balance of the 2-cylinder engine by means of an additional connecting rod. It compensates for the first and second order inertia forces, ensuring that the engine runs with a pleasingly low level of vibration.
Further improved response due to electromotive throttle controller and the riding modes “Rain” and “Road” as well as “Enduro” and “Enduro Pro” to meet individual rider wishes.
An electromotive throttle controller now passes on the rider’s commands directly from a sensor on the twist grip to the engine control system, which regulates the opening angle of the throttle valve accordingly. This has enabled controllability and response to be further optimised – especially for off-road use.
The changeover to the electromotive throttle controller means that riders of the new F 700 GS, F 800 GS and F 800 GS Adventure now benefit from various riding modes – as are available for most other BMW motorcycles, too. The modes “Rain” and “Road” come as standard and are for riding on damp and dry road surfaces respectively. As part of the ex works special accessory “Riding Modes Pro”, the “Enduro” mode is available for the F 700 GS and the “Enduro Pro” mode in addition for the F 800 GS and F 800 GS Adventure when riding off-road.
“Rain” mode guarantees a gentle throttle response, ABS regulation is set for road use and the Automatic Stability Control is configured for road riding with low friction coefficients. In “Road” mode, throttle response is set to optimum, ABS is adapted to road use and the ASC is configured for high friction coefficients.
The “Enduro” mode is characterised by a gentle throttle response, with ABS and ASC settings oriented towards light off-road use with road tyres. For more dedicated off-road riders, the “Enduro Pro” mode is available for the F 800 GS and F 800 GS Adventure: here, optimum throttle response is combined with ABS and ASC regulation geared towards use with off-road tyres. In this mode the rear-wheel ABS is also deactivated, allowing experienced riders to perform so-called brake drifts. Regardless of the various riding modes, both ABS and ASC can be switched off in all three new models.
The new F 700 GS, F 800 GS and F 800 GS Adventure have an instrument panel consisting of analog displays for the speedometer and engine speed as before and also a multifunction display including indicator lamps. In the new model year 2017, a so-called MIL (Malfunction Indicator Light) is provided in the cockpit in line with EU4 requirements. There are also newly designed dials which ensure improved readability, and the display has been extended to include riding mode information.
Tried and test suspension technology, ABS as standard. Automatic Stability Control ASC and Electronic Suspension Adjustment ESA as ex works options.
In terms of suspension, the new models continue to use the established tubular steel frame in which the engine is integrated as a load-bearing element. The rear frame in square steel tubing and the aluminium double- sided swinging arm likewise remain unchanged, as do the wheels and tyres.
To meet the new statutory provisions, the new models are now fitted with side reflectors on the fork slider tubes and fixed fork tubes for better visibility when riding at night.
In line with the “Safety 360°” principle, the new F 700 GS, F 800 GS and F 800 GS Adventure are fitted as standard with the high-performance BMW Motorrad ABS system. Other safety-related features are the optional factory-installed Automatic Stability Control ASC and the Electronic Suspension Adjustment ESA.
For model year 2017 the new F 800 GS Adventure has been fitted with new galvanised radiator trim and integrated GS emblem. The windshield also features a GS emblem. The airbox cover has also been redesigned as well as housing of the ignition lock.
The familiar extensive BMW Motorrad range of optional equipment and original BMW Motorrad accessories is available for the new F 700 GS, F 800 GS and F 800 GS Adventure.
Optional equipment is supplied directly ex works and is integrated in the production process. Optional accessories are installed by the BMW Motorrad dealer or by customers themselves. These are features which can be retrofitted, too.
- Comfort Package F 700 GS and F 800 GS: Heated grips, on-board computer, centre stand, case holder.
- Comfort Package F 800 GS Adventure: Heated grips, on-board computer, centre stand.
- Dynamic Package F 700 GS: ESA, ASC, RDC, Riding Modes Pro.
- Dynamic Package F 800 GS and F 800 GS Adventure: ESA, ASC, Riding Modes Pro.
- Heated grips.
- Tyre pressure control RDC (F 700 GS).
- On-board computer.
- LED white direction indicators.
- LED auxiliary headlights.
- Alarm system (DWA).
- Electronic Suspension Adjustment ESA.
- Automatic Stability Control ASC.
- Seat, low.
- Comfort seat.
- Output reduction 35 kW.
- Off-road tyres (F 800 GS and F 800 GS Adv.).
- Centre stand.
- Case holder.
- Program map adaptation for RON 91 (F 800 GS and F 800 GS Adv.).
- Lowered suspension for F 700 GS and F 800 GS.
Original BMW Motorrad Accessories. HP Parts
- HP sports silencer by Akrapovic.
- Vario case, black (F 700 GS, F 800 GS).
- Vario topcase, black (F 700 GS, F 800 GS).
- Liners for Vario case and topcase (F 700 GS, F 800 GS).
- Back pad for Vario topcase (F 700 GS, F 800 GS).
- Case holder for Vario case (F 700 GS, F 800 GS).
- Luggage support, large, for Vario topcase incl. adapter plate (F 700 GS, F 800 GS).
- Aluminium case (F 800 GS, F 800 GS Adv.).
- Aluminium topcase (F 800 GS, F 800 GS Adv.).
- Functional liners for aluminium case and topcase (F 800 GS, F 800 GS Adv.).
- Carry handle for aluminium case or topcase (F 800 GS, F 800 GS Adv.).
- Back pad for aluminium topcase (F 800 GS, F 800 GS Adv.).
- Case holder for aluminium case (F 800 GS, F 800 GS Adv.).
- Topcase holder for aluminium topcase (F 800 GS, F 800 GS Adv.).
- Luggage bridge, small (standard in F 800 GS Adv.).
- Tank rucksack, waterproof.
- Vario insert for tank rucksack.
- Enduro rear bag.
- Softbag, small, 30 l – 35 l.
- Luggage roll, 50 l.
- Splash guard extension, rear (standard in F 800 GS Adv.).
- LED turn indicators.
Ergonomics and comfort program
- Windshield, large, tinted (F 700 GS, F 800 GS).
- Windshield, large, clear (F 700 GS).
- Windshield, small, tinted (F 700 GS).
- Touring windshield (F 800 GS).
- Windshield, small, clear (F 800 GS).
- Windshield, tinted (F 800 GS Adv.).
- Centre stand.
- Various seat variants (low/comfort/etc.).
- Heated grips.
- Enduro footrests, wide (standard in F 800 GS Adv.).
Navigation and communication components
- BMW Motorrad Navigator V.
- BMW Motorrad Navigator Street.
- BMW Motorrad Smartphone Cradle.
- Holder for BMW Motorrad navigation systems.
- Alarm system DWA with remote control.
- ASC (Automatic Stability Control), disengageable.
- LED auxiliary headlights.
- Headlamp guard for off-road use (F 700 GS, F 800 GS).
- Hand protector bar (F 700 GS, F 800 GS.).
- Hand protector, small (F 700 GS, F 800 GS).
- Hand protector, large (F 700 GS, F 800 GS).
- Top spoiler for hand protector, large (F 700 GS, F 800 GS).
- Engine protection bar (standard in F 800 GS Adv.).
- Enduro aluminium engine protection bar.
- Engine protection bar, plastic (standard in F 800 GS and F 800 GS Adv.).
Maintenance and technology
- Automatic chain lubrication system.
- On-board toolkit service set.
- Power reduction to 35 kW (48 hp).
- Indoor cover, large (usable with cases).
- Indoor cover.
- Motorcycle cover.
- Mini foot pump.