Tailem Bend ASBK Test Day One Wrap
Glenn Allerton topped the first ever ASBK timed session at The Bend Motorsports Park this morning but was bettered by Josh Waters in FP2. We covered all the action from the morning sessions in this earlier report, along with an onboard lap of the 4.95km ‘International Circuit’, which you can check out at this link here.
Glenn Allerton again rose to the top of charts in FP3 but this afternoon Troy Herfoss became the first man in the 56s when in the penultimate session of the day he put in a 1m56.957 only to be gazumped only seconds later by Wayne Maxwell who knocked the Penrite Honda man out of top spot with a 1m56.71.
Third quickest in that fourth session was Troy Bayliss while Josh Waters made it four different manufactuers in the top quartet.
The fifth and final session of the day got underway at 1715 and was a shortened 15-minute session due to time lost during the day.
Daniel Falzon was eager to end the first official day of testing on a high note and was quick out of the blocks with a 1m57.40, his fastest time of the day thus far. The South Australian is the only rider to have turned a wheel here before, when he recently conducted some speed limited laps for a photo shoot, but it was hardly any measure of advantage in today’s proceedings. Falzon then dropped in a 1m56.70 to go top on combined times with six-minutes remaining in this first day of testing at the new circuit.
While most riders had been on used tyres all day many broke out a new rear slick for this final session, the battle was now on for bragging rights after all!
Troy Herfoss then became the first man to put in a 1m55s lap around The Bend, a 1m55.920 to the Penrite Honda man with less than three-minutes remaining in the session.
In the dying seconds Troy Bayliss went oh so close to claiming day one bragging rights, a 1m55.951 close but no cigar for the three-time World Superbike Champ here today.
Of note today though is that Wayne Maxwell was not out in the final session. What odds are there on him coming out and doing the business to end up on top at the end of day two…?
Today was all about tyre wear, the degradation was dramatic and across the board. The sand and dust on the circuit combined with a lack of rubber down on the circuit has rendered the track virtual sandpaper.
Tailem Bend ASBK Test Day One Times
- Troy HERFOSS (QLD) Honda 1:55.920
- Troy BAYLISS (QLD) Ducati 1:55.951
- Daniel FALZON (SA) Yamaha 1:56.701
- Wayne MAXWELL (VIC) Yamaha 1:56.712
- Josh WATERS (VIC) Suzuki 1:57.073
- Glenn ALLERTON (NSW) BMW 1:57.740
- Arthur SISSIS (SA) Suzuki 1:58.609
- Matt WALTERS (NSW) Kawasaki 1:59.077
- Ted COLLINS (VIC) BMW 1:59.336
- Michael BLAIR (NSW) Yamaha 1:59.546
- Mark CHIODO (VIC) Suzuki 1:59.556
- William STRUGNELL (SA) Kawasaki 2:00.166
- Mitch REES (NZ) Honda 2:00.573
- Jay PRESEPIO (SA) Suzuki 2:00.822
- Bryan STARING (WA) Kawasaki 2:00.933
- Sam LAMBERT (NT) Kawasaki 2:01.164
- Brendan MCINTYRE (NSW) Suzuki 2:01.442
- Mathew HARDING (NSW) Kawasaki 2:02.597
- Alex PHILLIS (VIC) Suzuki 2:02.635
- Mitchell LEVY (NSW) Yamaha 2:02.738
- Kyle BUCKLEY (QLD) Kawasaki 2:03.329
- Simon GALLOWAY (NSW) Yamaha 2:04.150
- Patrick LI (VIC) Yamaha 2:04.791
- Adam CHRISTIE (SA) Suzuki 2:04.958
- David BARKER (SA) Kawasaki 2:05.500
- Nathan SPITERI (VIC) Suzuki 2:05.700
- Scott MCGREGOR (VIC) Yamaha 2:05.728
- Lucas VITALE (NSW) Kawasaki 2:06.110
- Sloan FROST (NZ) Suzuki 2:06.413
- Kieran HURRELL (SA) Honda 2:06.529
- Phil CZAJ (VIC) Aprilia 2:06.825
- Trent GIBSON (VIC) Suzuki 2:07.069
- Evan BYLES (SA) Kawasaki 2:09.199
- Ashley MANUEL (SA) Kawasaki 2:09.930
- Mason COOTE (VIC) Kawasaki 2:10.090
- Con KOKKORIS (NSW) Ducati 2:10.184
- Donald OWEN (VIC) Suzuki 2:14.332
Continuing on from his Wakefield Park domination was Cru Halliday (Yamaha Racing Team, YZF-R6). The Factory Yamaha rider was devastatingly quick and looked like he was progressing well throughout the day.
Up in second was Halliday’s greatest title rival, Tom Toparis (Cube Racing, Kawasaki ZX-6R). These two have been battling it out in the early rounds of the season and results indicate this could be on again for Round 3 at The Bend. Toparis finished a further 0.648 off the fastest time.
Finishing in third position was the impressive Max Croker (Mat Mladin, Suzuki GSX-R600). Croker was injured at Round 1 and it’s great to see him back towards the top of the times. Croker will need to find 1.563s to match the best lap time in his class so far.
Giuseppe Scarcella (Kawasaki BCperformance, ZX-6R) and Broc Pearson (Yamaha Motors Australia, Yamaha YZF-R6) completed the top five.
Supersport 600 Tailem Bend Test Day One Times
- Cru HALLIDAY (NSW) Yamaha YZF-R6 1:59.303
- Tom TOPARIS (NSW) Kawasaki ZX6R 1:59.951
- Max CROKER (NSW) Suzuki GSXR 2:00.866
- Giuseppe SCARCELLA (NSW) Kawasaki ZX6R 2:01.062
- Broc PEARSON (QLD) Yamaha YZF-R6 2:01.272
- John HUNT (SA) Suzuki GSXR 2:03.219
- Zac JOHNSON (VIC) Yamaha YZF-R6 2:03.474
- Thomas BRYDEN (NSW) Yamaha YZF-R6 2:03.578
- Damon REES (NZ) Honda CBR RR 2:03.825
- Ty LYNCH (SA) Yamaha YZF-R6 2:04.135
- Rhys BELLING (VIC) Yamaha YZF-R6 2:04.271
- Dallas SKEER (SA) Suzuki GSXR 2:04.656
- Scott NICHOLSON (VIC) Suzuki GSXR 2:05.060
- Campbell RUSSELL (VIC) Yamaha YZF-R6 2:06.148
- Jack PASSFIELD (NSW) Yamaha YZF-R6 2:06.801
- Meri MALENA (NSW) Yamaha YZF-R6 2:16.021
Olly Simpson was a name I was somewhat surprised to see on the timesheets today and the young local ended the day with his name on top of those timesheets. While at 20-years of age Olly is still very young, and has been away from competition in recent times, a few years ago he did spend a few years in Europe in both the Red Bull Rookies Cup and then Moto3, racking up extensive experience before returning to Australia after failing to muster the financial support required to continue to compete in Europe.
Tom Bramich was very close behind Simpson but really nothing separated the top six with Yanni Shaw, Tayla Relph, Oli Bayliss and Harry Khouri all having their hat firmly in the ring.
Supersport 300 Tailem Bend Test Day One Times
- Oliver SIMPSON (SA) Yamaha 2:14.141
- Tom BRAMICH (VIC) Yamaha 2:14.222
- Yanni SHAW (NSW) Kawasaki 2:14.320
- Tayla RELPH (QLD) Yamaha 2:14.351
- Oli BAYLISS (QLD) Kawasaki 2:14.400
- Harry KHOURI (NSW) Yamaha 2:15.282
- Ben BAKER (NSW) Kawasaki 2:15.300
- Dan THOMAS (NSW) Yamaha 2:15.438
- Hunter FORD (NSW) Yamaha 2:15.535
- Travis HALL (QLD) Yamaha 2:16.655
- Mitchell KUHNE (QLD) Yamaha 2:16.975
- Ben BRAMICH (VIC) KTM 2:17.411
- Bronson PICKETT (WA) Yamaha 2:18.092
- Zane FORD (NSW) Yamaha 2:18.505
- Troy RYAN (NSW) Yamaha 2:19.506
- Mitchell SIMPSON (SA) Yamaha 2:21.414
- Ned FAULKHEAD (VIC) Kawasaki 2:25.786
- Austin BARNES (VIC) Kawasaki 2:30.192
- Jack COUSENS (VIC) Yamaha 2:31.329
Images by TBG