Aaron Morris dominates Phillip Island Superbike Masters
Aaron Morris went out and asserted his dominance of the Superbike Masters category in qualifying. A 1m36.716 on the FZR1000 about half a lap quicker than the rest of the field.
Superbike Masters Combined Qualifying Results
- Aaron Morris – Yamaha 1m36.716
- Jason Cullen – Yamaha 1m40.013
- Adrian DiGiandomenico – Yamaha 1m40.391
- Stephen Kairl – Yamaha 1m43.545
- Scott Webster – Harris 1m43.847
- John Allen – Yamaha 1m45.457
- Lachlan Hill – Yamaha TZ 1m46.015
- Justin Mellerick – Honda 1m46.800
- Bernie Leen – Harris F1 1m47.563
- Glenn Crutchley – Kawasaki 1m48.268
- Dean Castleton – Honda CB1100R 1m48.590
- Roger Gunn – Suzuki Katana 1m48.710
- James Agombar – Yamaha TZ 1m48.749
- Albert Tehennepe – Harris F1 1m48.767
- Tyler Bradford – Suzuki GSX-R750 1m49.003
Superbike Masters Race One
Aaron Morris had set the pace all weekend in the Superbike Masters category throughout practice and qualifying and that form did not desert him in the opening five-lap bout of the weekend late this afternoon at Phillip Island.
Adrian DiGiandomenico got away well when the lights went out but was quicky overhauled by who then went on to take victory by almost seven-seconds over DiGiandomenico while Jason Cullen rounded out the podium.
Superbike Masters Race One Results
- Aaron Morris – Yamaha
- Adrian DiGiandomenico – Yamaha +6.677
- Jason Cullen – Yamaha +11.149
- Stephen Kairl – Yamaha +37.322
- Justin Mellerick – Honda +43.422
- Jim Agombar – Yamaha +48.200
- Bernie Leen – Harris F1 +52.025
- Roger Gunn – Suzuki +54.420
- Denis Ackland – Kawasaki +56.549
- Albert Tehennepe – Harris F1 +56.920
Superbike Masters Race Two
The first act on the ASBK dance card on this final morning of ASBK 2018 was the Superbike Masters category. A new historic category incorporating a mix of Period Six and Period Five Unlimited and F1 machines from between 1980 and 1990.
Aaron Morris dominated the opening Superbike Masters five-lap race on Saturday and it was a similar plot line on Sunday morning. Adrian DiGiandomenico getting the holeshot and leading the race early on before Aaron Morris wound up his FZR1000, blasted past and left the young Victorian in his wake.
Today though DiGiandomenico made Morris work much harder for it, taking defensive lines, backing it in to turns, and managing to keep Morris at bay until the start of lap three. Once ahead though Morris pulled away to a clear win from DiGiandomenico while Jason Cullen rounded out the podium.
Superbike Masters Race Two Results
Superbike Masters Race Three
Jason Cullen took the battle up to Aaron Morris in the final Superbike Masters bout of the weekend on the last lap.
Morris had got away early on but was almost caught napping on the final lap but it was Morris again at the chequered flag to take the win and a perfect 1-1-1 result for the weekend.
After the race Morris said that he saw a board the previous lap and thought the race was actually over but then realised his error and managed to keep Cullen out to take the flag.
Superbike Masters Race Three Results
- Aaron Morris – Yamaha
- Jason Cullen – Yamaha +0.148
- Adrian DiGiandomenico – Yamaha +3.116
- Scott Webster – Harris Suzuki +25.123
- Stephen Kairl – Yamaha +25.498
- Justin Mellerick – Honda +35.212
- Bernie Leen – Harris F1 +43.706
- Dean Castleton – Honda +48.564
- Albert Tehennepe – Harris F1 +56.634
- Denis Ackland – Kawasaki +56.816
- Tristan Culvenor – Kawasaki +57.73
- Rick Johnson – Suzuki +66.71
Superbike Masters Round Points
- Aaron Morris
- Adrian DiGiandomenico
- Jason Cullen