BMW switch from ASBK to FX. By Trevor Hedge
Next Gen Motorsports, effectively the same team that helped Glenn Allerton lift the 2011 ASBK Superbike Championship has confirmed to MCNews.com.au that their focus for season 2014 will be on the Australasian FX-Superbike, the series run by Formula Xtreme promoter Terry O’Neill.
Next Gen Motorsports BMW; “The decision wasn’t made lightly but we believe that Australasian Superbike Series offers more consistency and a brighter future when it comes to motorcycle racing in Australia.
“Next week Next Gen Motorssports BMW will confirm our rider lineup and classes the team will be competing in.”
Glenn Allerton hopes to sign on the dotted line with Next Gen Motorsports shortly.
The switch by the BMW backed squad is a coup for the Australasian Superbike Championship and yet another kick in the guts for ASBK. However, there looks to be more kicks coming with Team Honda rumoured to also be pulling away from ASBK and at this stage the official Honda squad might only compete at the World Superbike and MotoGP support events.
2014 Australasian FX-Superbike Championship Calendar
- 14th – 16th March 2014 Wakefield Park NSW
- 16th – 18th May 2014 Mallala Raceway SA
- 27th – 29th June 2014 Queensland Raceway Qld
- 1st – 3rdAugust 2014 Winton Motor Raceway VIC
- 12th – 14th Sept 2014 Wakefield Park NSW
- 21st – 23rd Nov 2014 – Sydney Motorsport Park (3.9km track) NSW