1971 Laverda 1000C

Laverda Triple Cylinder Prototype

With Phil Aynsley


The Laverda 1000 triple was first seen at the Geneva Show in 1969. At this early stage the motor was basically a 750 twin with an extra cylinder grafted on. It was still a single OHC design with the starter behind the cylinders and the belt-driven generator in front.

PA Laverda C Proto
Laverda’s 3C Prototype

However by 1971 Massimo Laverda and Luciano Zen had massively reworked the design. It now sported a DOHC cylinder head with narrow angled valves, together with very substantial crankcases.

PA Laverda C Proto
Laverda’s 3C Prototype

The original 120º crank was replaced by a 180º unit (the outside pistons moving together, with the centre piston 180º out of phase).

PA Laverda C Proto
Laverda’s 3C Prototype

The new design was first displayed at the 1971 Milan Show, named the 1000C, and the bike I photographed is in fact this prototype, with engine number 1000 001.

PA Laverda C Proto
Laverda’s 3C Prototype

By comparison to the production bikes that followed in 1972, it is quite unique with sand-cast cases of a different pattern, 750 instruments and handlebar, ignition key placement and even sand-cast Dell’Orto carbs.

PA Laverda C Proto
Laverda’s 3C Prototype

The 180º motor was replaced by a rubber-mounted 120º in 1982 and after evolving through a total of 16 different models production of the triple ceased in 1986.

PA Laverda C Proto
Laverda’s 3C Prototype

PA Laverda C Proto
Laverda’s 3C Prototype

PA Laverda C Proto
Laverda’s 3C Prototype

PA Laverda C Proto
Laverda’s 3C Prototype

PA Laverda C Proto
Laverda’s 3C Prototype

PA Laverda C Proto
Laverda’s 3C Prototype

PA Laverda C Proto
Laverda’s 3C Prototype

FEATURES

Paton PG 500 R V4 Racer

Paton PG 500 R V4 Racer With Phil Aynsley Giuseppe Pattoni was the chief mechanic for the FB Mondial GP team when the company (together with...

Berneg Construzione Meccaniche | Yet another obscure Italian motorcycle

'Berneg Construzione Meccaniche' With Phil Aynsley Obscure Italian marque number 257… Berneg Berneg was established in Bologna in 1954 by Paride Bernardi and Corrado Negrini to manufacture parts...