Tenere Tragics tackle the Dividing Range 73 Tenere riders enjoy their fifth annual group ride
Riders on Yamaha Ténérés of all vintages stemming back to the original 1983 model headed to northern NSW for the fifth annual riding event dedicated to owners of the large tank adventure bikes.
Starting at Nambucca Heads and taking in around 1700km of dirt roads and twisting tarmac, the four day tour ended at the Riverside Downs resort near Dungog.
“The combination of perfect wheather, awesome trails and good humoured bench racing has cemented the latest incarnation of this event as the most tragic yet,” says YMA Communications Manager and XTZ660 Ténéré rider Sean Goldhawk.
“This annual event has become a must-ride for anyone imbued with the Ténéré spirit – whether that be a thirty year old 600cc single or the latest model 1200cc parallel twin,” continues Goldhawk.
Special guest Tragic and Aussie MX legend Stephen Gall made his third appearance at a Ténéré Tragics Run piloting an XTZ1200 Super Ténéré. The four times Mister Motocross once again shared his vast knowledge by hosting a special riding skills and bike and rider set-up lecture during the event.
Organisers Andrew and Tania Clubb have promised more Yamaha Ténéré fully supported adventure rides in the near future, keep posted on the Tragic facebook page https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tenere-Tragics
Tragics by numbers
- + The Dividing Range Run was the fifth annual Ténéré Tragics Run, after previous events in 2011 Flinders Ranges SA, 2012 Southern NSW, 2013 Longreach QLD and 2014 Victorian high country
- + The event kicked off with a Welcome Dinner at Nambucca Heads and finished with Farewell and Awards dinner at Riverwood Downs Resort near Dungog NSW
- + The four day run could be navigated by route sheets and covered a total of 1683km as follows:
Day 1: Nambucca Heads to Tenterfield via Coutts Crossing, 427km
Day 2: Tenterfield to Inverell via Drake and Emmaville, 325km
Day 3: Inverell to Riverwood Downs via Walcha, 501km
Day 4: Riverwood Downs to Riverwood Downs via Barrington Tops and Gundy, 430km
- + 65 Ténéré Tragics riders plus four crew riders Andrew Clubb, Lance Turnley, Clive Ward and Troy Mattson, plus YMA riders Stephen Gall and Sean Goldhawk plus Adv Moto riders Steve Smith and Andy Horne equals a total of 73 Tenere riders on the Run, plus sweep truck provided by Eddy Trapp from Trapp Tours and Tania Clubb in the support van.
- + One female Tragic rider attended the event, Mary-Ann Eime from South Australia
- + Six first-model 1983 XT600ZL Ténérés completed the run this year.
- + Most popular bike on run this year: 33 x current generation XTZ660 Ténéré
- + Tragics come from far and wide with entrants this year from NSW, QLD, Vic, ACT, Tasmania, SA, NT and WA, plus Canadian Andy Horne from Adv Moto
+ Major Awards winners
- Youngest rider: Josh Halpin (QLD), 19
- Oldest rider: Harley Drew (NSW), 68
- Oldest Ténéré on ride: Clubby, 1983 XT600ZL
- Most kilometres ridden to the event: John Wheeler from near Darwin, NT, over 5200km!
- Best Presented current XT600Z Ténéré: Francis Smith (QLD)
- Best Presented current XT1200Z Super Ténéré: Justin Hayden (NSW)
- Best Presented first-generation XT600/660Z: John Wheeler (NT)
- Best Presented first-generation XTZ750 Super Ténéré: Chris Kirk (NSW)
- Hard Luck Award: Chris Warnaby (NSW), his 1988 XT600Z Ténéré expired on Day 2 at Inverell, but he promptly traded it in on a second-hand 2012 XTZ660 and will be back for next year’s Run!
- Captain’s Choice Award for Truly Tragic Tragic: Dave Bottomley (QLD), riding a 1983 XT600ZL Ténéré
+ Special 100% Percent Tragic awards were presented to 14 Tragics who have now completed all five Tenere Tragic Runs
- Dave Bottomley
- Ian Carr
- Andrew ‘Captain Tragic’ Clubb
- Dave Harrison
- Colin Hayden
- Mike Haysom
- Ken Henderson
- Riaan Landman
- Troy Mattson
- Steve McMillan
- Grahame Pavitt
- Mike Ruoso
- Curtis Williams
- Dave Wilson
+ Huge thanks to all Ténéré Tragics sponsors:
- Yamaha Motor Australia
- Yamaha Genuine Parts & Accessories
- Yamaha Motor Finance
- Yamaha Motorcycle Insurance
- Adventure Moto
- Off Road Explorer
- Motorrad Garage
- Safari Tanks
- Motorcycle Adventure Products