Wayne Maxwell tops Morgan Park ASBK Test on Day 2
Just half a second separated the top seven riders following the Morgan Park ASBK test, with Yamaha Racing Team’s Wayne Maxwell taking top honours, from Day 1 leader Troy Herfoss, who set the second fastest time.
Tom Toparis set the fastest overall time in Supersport, while Oli Bayliss finished the test leading the SS300/R3 Cup classes. Round 5 of the ASBK will take place at Morgan Park Raceway 25-27 August.
The rider of the day would have to go to Maxwell, who posted the fastest time of 1:13.205. After a mixed weekend back at Round 4 Hidden Valley Raceway, Maxwell demonstrated sensational pace around Morgan Park Raceway, putting the Yamaha Racing Team rider in good stead for the upcoming races.
After Troy Herfoss (Crankt Protein Honda Racing, Honda CBR1000SP2) was fastest yesterday, it looked like the Official ASBK Test could be heading towards a Herfoss dominated affair, however that changed in the last practice session, when Maxwell smashed the lap record.
“Unfortunately in Darwin, we didn’t quite have the weekend we wanted. However, we learnt a lot since then to rectify the situation. It’s just a matter of getting the setup right. In the end, we put a great Pirelli tyre in and did a run. I’m happy to beat Troy’s time from earlier on today. It’s pretty tight at the top, and the other boys are not too far behind. For us, its just making sure we can get off the turn and accelerate well. That’s an area that’s key to challenging towards the top.”
Closest to Maxwell was reigning champion Herfoss, who didn’t show his hand in the last session, when Maxwell went fastest. The Crankt Protein Honda Racing rider is a Morgan Park Raceway specialist, and is confident heading into the next round.
Last year Herfoss set up his championship by dominating the round and will be looking to do the same this year. Just over two tenths separate championship rivals Maxwell and Herfoss.
Daniel Falzon (JD Racing, Yamaha YZF-R1) also completed a successful day two of the test by coming third overall. Corey Tuner (DesmoSport Ducati, 1299 Panigale) has caught the attention of the paddock with his impressive debut on the Ducati to finish fourth.
Turner will certainly be a hot prospect to look out for. Darwin winner Josh Waters (Team Suzuki ECSTAR, Suzuki GSXR-1000R), finished fifth overall respectively.
Fastest Provisional Overall Superbike Times
- Wayne MAXWELL (VIC) / Yamaha YZF-R1 / 1:13.205
- Troy HERFOSS (NSW) / Honda CBR RR SP / 1:13.264
- Daniel FALZON (SA) / Yamaha YZF-R1 / 1:13.373
- Corey TURNER (QLD) / Ducati Panigale / 1:13.478
- Josh WATERS (VIC) / Suzuki GSX-R / 1:13.571
- Robert BUGDEN (QLD) / Kawasaki ZX-10R / 1:13.678
- Glenn ALLERTON (NSW) / Yamaha YZF-R1 / 1:13.710
- Cru HALLIDAY (NSW) / Yamaha YZF-R1 / 1:13.809
- Bryan STARING (WA) / Honda CBR RR SP / 1:14.263
- Beau BEATON (NSW) / Ducati Panigale / 1:14.933
- Michael BLAIR (NSW) / Yamaha YZF-R1 / 1:15.086
- Sloan FROST (NZ) / Suzuki GSX-R / 1:15.152
- Troy GUENTHER (QLD) / BMW S-RR / 1:15.220
- 14 12 A Matt WALTERS (NSW) / Kawasaki ZX10R / 1:15.629
- 15 183 A Lachlan EPIS (NSW) / Honda CBR RR / 1:15.923
- Mitch LEVY (NSW) / Yamaha YZF-R1 / 1:16.739
Tom ‘Torpedo’ Toparis (Cube Racing, Kawasaki ZX-6R) managed to lodge the fastest time of the day for the Motul Supersport class. The Cube Racing rider, setting his fastest time in the final practice session. Toparis has certainly been one of the in form riders as of late, after taking a win at Round 4 (NT) and setting the fastest lap today.
With Toparis currently being second in the championship, Round 5 Morgan Park Raceway could mark an opportunity to bridge the gap to first place Ted Collins (NextGen Motorsports Suzuki GSX-R 600).
In second position was yesterday’s pacesetter Chris Quinn (Coopers HXR Yamaha, YZF-R6). Quinn posted a very competitive time of 1:16.186, to keep Toparis honest. Under a tenth of a second would separate Toparis and Quinn.
Kiwi Damon Rees (Tony Rees Motorcycles, Honda CBR600RR) completed the top three overall times. With Mark Chiodo (Repsol GAS Racing, Truimph Daytona 675R) and championship leader Collins coming fourth and fifth respectively. Collins finishing four tenths off pacesetter Toparis.
Fastest Provisional Overall Supersport Times
- Tom TOPARIS (Cube Racing, Kawasaki ZX-6R) 1:16.098
- Chris QUINN (Coopers HXR Yamaha, YZF-R6) 1:16.186
- Damon REES (Tony Rees Motorcycles, Honda CBR600RR) 1:16.193
- Mark CHIODO (Repsol GAS Racing, Truimph Daytona 675R) 1:16.295
- Ted COLLINS (NextGen Motorsports Suzuki GSX-R 600) 1:16.416
- Sam CONDON (BikeBiz, Yamaha YZF-R1) 1:16.433
- Nic LIMINTON (Racecenter, Yamaha YZF-R6) 1:16.599
- Sam MULDOON (ProWorx Racing, Kawasaki ZX-6R) 1:16.766
- Cambridge OLIVIER (Sydney West Riders, Yamaha YZF-R6) 1:17.508
- Mason COOTE (Aark Racing, Yamaha YZF-R6) 1:17.777
Hi-Tec Batteries Australian Supersport 300 / YMF R3 Cup
Fastest overall was Oli Bayliss (Cube Racing, Kawasaki Ninja 300) for the combined Hi-Tec Batteries Australian Supersport 300 / YMF R3 Cup classes. The ‘Under 300’ rider’s fastest lap, a 1:24.182 was posted on the second practice of the day for his class.
Oli after coming out as the top ‘Under 300’s’ rider at the previous round has certainly taken a lot of confidence and will be looking to carry his momentum forward.
“Another great day here at Morgan Park Raceway and it’s a nice feeling to end the Offical ASBK Test, with the overall fastest time for the entire test. Come the race weekend, I’m really hoping I can get into the 1min23’s, which is my target. The Cube Racing Ninja 300 machines are performing very well at the moment, and credit to the team for preparing them so well. Hopefully I can deliver the team a win, for all the hard work they’ve put in.”
Improving on his position from yesterday Reid Battye, was second quickest (BCperformance Junior Team, Kawasaki Ninja 300). Battye who has typically dominated the ‘Under 300’s class looks more comfortable around Morgan Park Raceway than he was at Hidden Valley Raceway (NT). Battye’s fastest lap being a tenth and a half off the pace of Bayliss.
Former Flat Track Racer and Asia Dream Cup competitor Broc Pearson (Yamaha YZF-R3) finished as the fastest ‘Over 300’s’ rider and third overall in the timesheets. Max Croker (KTM Australia, RC 390) and Yanni Shaw completed the top five.
Fastest Provisional Overall SS300/R3 Cup Times
- Oliver BAYLISS (Cube Racing, Kawasaki Ninja 300) 1:24.182
- Reid BATTYE (BCperformance Junior Team, Kawasaki Ninja 300) 1:24.330
- Broc PEARSON (NSW) (Yamaha YZF-R3) 1:24.544
- Max CROKER (KTM Australia, RC 390) 1:24.660
- Yanni SHAW (BCperformance Junior Team, Kawasaki Ninja 300) 1:24.708
- Corey BRIFFA (Alex Cudlin Motorsport, Yamaha YZF-R3) 1:24.790
- Lachlan EPIS (Nitron Suspension, Kawasaki Ninja 300) 1:25.208
- Seth CRUMP (Internl., KTM RC 390) 1:25.653
- Zac LEVY (Puma RV’s, Yamaha YZF-R3) 1:25.698
- Hunter FORD ( Ford Brothers Racing, Yamaha YZF-R3) 1:26.322
Round 5 of the ASBK will take place at Morgan Park Raceway 25-27 August.
The Crankt Protein Honda Racing Team also extended an invitation to Superbike, Supersport and Supersport 300 competitors for a test day at Sydney Motorsport Park on Tuesday, 29 August. Six 20 minute sessions will run with a 30 minute lunch break, with a cost of $450 per rider. Those interested can contact Paul Free at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Can’t make it to the track? Then make sure you watch the ASBK, Sunday on channel SBS or Live Stream on asbk.com.au.
2017 Yamaha Motor Finance Australian Superbike Championship Presented by Motul Pirelli Calendar
- Round 6 SMSP Eastern Creek, NSW 8-10 September
- Round 7 Spokes.com.au presents Phillip Island Circuit, VIC 6-8 October