Fresh off the back of unveiling the new Harley-Davidson Street™ 500 and recent Project RUSHMORE-inspired Touring models, legendary motorcycle brand Harley-Davidson has announced three more motorcycles to expand its 2014 line-up.
The mid-year release of the retro-cool Harley-Davidson Low Rider and versatile SuperLow 1200T, as well as a custom model Street Bob Special, completes the largest new model launch in Harley-Davidson’s 110-year history.
“Our Model Year 14.5 announcement keeps the throttle pinned on the company’s accelerated, customer-led, product-development process to highlight what a fantastic six months it has been for us,” commented Adam Wright, Director of Marketing for Harley-Davidson Australia. “The Low Rider, SuperLow 1200T and new Street Bob Special –are a further result of being customer led and delivering the attitude and features riders want.”
In 1977, Harley-Davidson created the Low Rider – a ride-it-hard, put-it-away dirty custom motorcycle that became an icon. The legendary Low Rider model name is reprised in 2014 for an all-new cruiser that rolls with old-school class but features exciting new performance. A polished headlamp visor, wrinkle black trim, and split five-spoke aluminium wheels are touchstone styling elements from the original Low Rider model.
Also featuring the brand’s Twin Cam 103™ powertrain, header pipes that feed a 2-into-1 exhaust and dual-front disc brakes – along with suspension that is calibrated for all day comfort and precise handling – the Harley-Davidson Low Rider enters the 2014 lineup with typical Harley-Davidson performance.
Additionally, a new adjustable seat and handlebar risers enable a perfect fit, with ample Genuine Motor Parts & Accessories® available to offer endless customisation possibilities.
The Harley-Davidson SuperLow 1200T combines a nimble chassis with essential touring features including a detachable windshield, locking saddlebags and Dunlop® Harley-Davidson Blackwall tyres as standard. Docking points accommodate detachable accessory racks and backrests for ease of customisation.
New seat and control ergonomics are shaped specifically to give more riders long-distance comfort, whilst power is delivered from the Motor Company’s 1200cc Evolution® V-Twin engine
The Harley-Davidson SuperLow 1200T weighs-in at almost 53.5kg less than the lightest Harley-Davidson Big Twin touring motorcycles.
A premium finish comes from aluminium wheels, two-tone paint scheme options and chrome throughout.
The Harley-Davidson Street Bob Special is a custom model that upholds a stripped-down Big Twin presence and features forward controls and drag handlebars which replace the stock mini-ape hanger bars.
Also boasting a raft of other new eye-catching make-up for 2014, the Street Bob Special features a chopped rear fender, Fat Bob fuel tank and split 5-spoke cast aluminium wheels – as well as unique two-tone paint with graphics. Badlander® two-up saddle, forward controls and drag handlebars to complete the bobber look. Power is delivered from Harley-Davidson’s 103 engine block.
Inspired by Harley-Davidson’s Factory Customization program in the US, the Harley-Davidson Street Bob Special is only available in select markets, including those in the Asia Pacific, European, Middle East and African regions.
The Harley-Davidson Low Rider, SuperLow 1200T and Street Bob Special models will be available at Authorised Harley-Davidson dealerships across Australia and New Zealand from April 2014. Further information on each model can be found below.
Harley-Davidson Superlow 1200T
Equipped with essential touring features such as a detachable windshield, mini-footboards, locking saddlebags and new adjustable suspension package, the SuperLow 1200T boasts the benefits of a tour-ready Harley-Davidson motorcycle which includes new seat and control ergonomics, specifically calibrated to give more riders long-distance comfort.
Boasting a nimble chassis and power delivered from the brand’s Evolution® 1200 V-Twin engine, the SuperLow 1200T weighs-in at almost 53.5kg less than the lightest Harley-Davidson Big Twin touring motorcycles to offer riders versatile performance and functionality.
The SuperLow 1200T also features black and silver split five-spoke cast aluminium wheels, a special cloisonné tank medallion and chrome throughout. Both solid and two-tone paint schemes are available.
Premium performance brakes feature a 300mm front rotor, a rigid front brake caliper with dual 34mm pistons, and a high-efficiency aluminium front master cylinder. Rear brake rotor diameter is 260mm with dual 38mm pistons. Front and rear brakes are fitted with Original Equipment braided stainless steel brake lines that resist abrasion and enhance brake feel.
An electrical system update to all 2014 Sportster models incorporates an analog speedometer with digital tachometer, restyled ergonomic hand controls, an updated wire harness and voltage regulator. The new hand controls include a left-hand trip switch to toggle through screen displays on the speedometer, including an odometer, tripmeter, gear indicator and RPM display.
Additionally, new oil tank and side cover designs make it easier to access and service the battery and diagnostic terminal whilst Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) and H-D® Smart Security System with a proximity-based security fob and keyless ignition come as standard.
“The SuperLow 1200T is a new motorcycle driven by the voice of our customers, and by customer action,” said Jennifer Gersch, Harley-Davidson Product Planning Manager. “Many riders seeking an entry point to the touring experience have been putting together a bike like this on their own. We’ve added ergonomic adjustments and a selection of touring accessories to a motorcycle platform that is already popular with our customers. They can tour on a great-looking motorcycle that offers performance and inspires confidence, while experiencing those life-defining moments that can only be encountered on the open road.”
Harley-Davidson Sportster SuperLow 1200T – Key Features:
- Air-cooled Evolution 1200cc V-Twin engine with Electronic Sequential Port Fuel Injection (ESPFI), rated at 96Nm. Peak torque at 3750rpm. The powertrain is finished in black powder coat with chrome-plated covers
- Reduced Reach® two-up touring seat moves the rider forward and features a narrow nose for an easy reach to the ground. Seat height unladen is 702mm
- Rear suspension features a right-side twin tube and a left-side dial adjustable emulsion shock with an easy-to-reach dial that enables a broad range of pre-load adjustment without removing the saddlebags or using tools
- Front suspension is tuned to accommodate touring and passenger payloads
- Detachable 14-inch clear polycarbonate windshield can be adjusted on the forks to match rider height
- Optimised rider foot location
- Mini footboards
- Black and silver, split five-spoke aluminium wheels with Dunlop® tyres that are engineered for a touring payloa
- Front turn signals are located on the lower triple tree to increase handlebar adjustment range
- Lockable saddlebags are covered in durable black vinyl with chrome badges
- Factory-installed rear docking hardware facilitates installation of an optional luggage rack and sissy bar with backrest
- Premium glass-filled chrome cloisonné tank badge
- Chrome-plated headlamp visor, turn signal housings and instrument housing
- H-D® Smart Security System with a proximity-based security fob and keyless ignition as standard
- Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) as standard
Color choices include: Vivid Black, Candy Orange, and two-tone Birch White/Midnight Pearl
Harley-Davidson Street Bob Special
Showcasing a raft of new eye-catching features, the Street Bob Special is custom model inspired by Harley-Davidson’s Factory Customization program in the US.
Retaining the stripped-down presence of a Big Twin, the Harley-Davidson Street Bob Special features forward controls and drag handlebars, which replace the stock mini-ape hanger bars.
A chopped rear fender, Fat Bob fuel tank, split 5-spoke cast aluminium wheels, finished in black with contrast cut highlights,along with a Badlander® two-up saddle to replace the stock solo seat, completes the bobber look.
The unique Dominator paint scheme, with two-tone Mysterious Red Sunglo and Silver panels on the tank, pays homage to the Special Edition badge whilst power comes courtesy of Harley- Davidson’s 103™ engine.
“The Street Bob Special for 2014 delivers optimum power and style and aims to grab the attention of Harley-Davidson enthusiasts in showrooms and streets across the world,” said Harley-Davidson Chief Stylist, Ray Drea. “It’s about taking the stylish and stripped-back features of the classic Street Bob and transforming this into a customized Big Twin that delivers the authentic rumble and muscle of a Harley-Davidson motorcycle.”
Harley-Davidson Dyna Street Bob Special – Key Features:
- Rubber-mounted Twin Cam 103™ V-Twin engine with Electronic Sequential Port Fuel Injection (ESPFI), rated at 134 Nm of torque
- 6-Speed Cruise Drive transmission
- Black Split Five Spoke cast aluminium wheels
- Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) as standard
- Dominator paint scheme with two-tone Mysterious Red Sunglo and Silver panels
- Chrome exhaust with straight cut shorty dual mufflers
- Blacked out triple clamps, powertrain, and battery box cover
- Clean chopped rear fender with stop/turn/tail lights for a minimalist bobber look with uncovered fender supports
- 17.8 Litre Fat Bob™ fuel tank
- Two-up Badlander seat
- Drag-style handlebars and forward controls
- Michelin® Scorcher® tyres: 100/90B-19 57H front, 160/70B-17 73V rear
The Harley-Davidson Street Bob Special is only available in select markets, including those in the Asia Pacific, European, Middle East and African regions.
Harley-Davidson Low Rider
Following on from a five year hiatus for the model, the new Harley-Davidson Low Rider will feature the brand’s Twin Cam 103™ powertrain, along with exciting new styling and ergonomic design elements – including a two-position seat which sits just 680mm from the ground; an adjustable handlebar riser; and relocated footpegs. The new model also boasts sculpted header pipes that feed a 2-into-1 exhaust, a polished headlamp visor, wrinkle black trim, and split five-spoke aluminium wheels.
Freshly calibrated suspension from stout 49mm forks and new coil-over rear shocks, both with triple clamp and dual-rate springs, are also featured – whilst stopping power comes courtesy of dual front disc brakes.
Informed by the same accelerated, customer-led product development process that propelled Project RUSHMORE, the new Low Rider is aimed towards a broad range of riders, with the brand leveraging the science of ergonomics to develop a “perfect fit” rider position.
“We wanted the new Low Rider to offer an expanded comfort envelope, and worked in three stages toward that goal,” said Paul Weiss, lead engineer on the Low Rider project. “We started with live feedback from riders of all sizes, and then employed Pro/Engineer computer simulations of posture and riding positions to project the best locations for rider controls.”
Lead stylist, Tony Pink commented: “The Low Rider represents intense collaboration between the Harley-Davidson Styling and Engineering staff. Engineering created some innovative solutions to expand the comfort envelope of the Low Rider, and our styling team successfully incorporated those features while maintaining a premium finish.”
The original Low Rider set a styling benchmark when it was introduced in 1977, and Harley- Davidson designers went back to that milestone motorcycle for inspiration in creating a new Low Rider with a look that’s timeless and authentic.
“Our styling team envisioned a new motorcycle with rugged, universal appeal,” continued Pink. “The use of wrinkle-black paint on the powertrain, wheels, console and trim are key to the new look. The visor and suspended headlamp are also touchstone styling elements we wanted on this new Low Rider. Like the original, this new Low Rider rolls on cast-aluminium wheels; the new ones feature this tough split five-spoke design. We’ve achieved a look that’s purebred, classic Harley- Davidson.”
Harley-Davidson Dyna Low Rider – Key Features:
- Rubber-mounted Twin Cam 103™ engine is rated at 126Nm of torque at 3500rpm. The engine is equipped with Electronic Sequential Port Fuel Injection (ESPFI) and Automatic Compression Release (ACR), and is mated to a 6-speed Cruise Drive® transmission. The powertrain is finished in wrinkle black powder coat with chrome-plated covers
- Unique handlebar riser offers 61mm of adjustment and seamless integration
- Two-position ergonomic seat is tuned to fit a broad range of riders with a removable bolster that moves the rider 38mm forward; unladen seat height is 680mm. High-performance perforated seat cover features a classic stitching pattern
- Mid-mount foot controls are positioned to best fit most riders with an in- command riding position
- Split five-spoke cast aluminium wheels feature a classic, muscular look. The wheels are finished in wrinkle black with diamond cut highlights
- Chrome 2-into-1 exhaust which pays homage to the original Low Rider
- Wrinkle black console holds an analogue speedometer and analogue tachometer. Console lights are integrated into the tachometer
- Chrome-plated rear fender strut covers feature wrinkle black cutouts
- Chrome-plated battery box insert with wrinkle black highlights
- Classic headlamp visor
- Polished front end
- Dual disc front brakes
- Suspension features 49mm front forks and coil-over rear shocks, both with triple clamp and dual-rate springs
- Michelin® Scorcher™ tires
- Custom ignition switch located on the left side of the motorcycle
- H-D® Smart Security System with hands-free, proximity-based security fob as standard
- Anti-Lock Braking System (ABS) as standard
Color choices include: Vivid Black, two-tone Brilliant Silver/Vivid Black and two-tone Amber Whiskey/Vivid Black