Australian Superbike – Round Two – Symmons Plains
— Content as shown on the live page during the day on MCNEWS.COM.AU
– Pictorials – Gallery D
– Full PDF of Saturday Results all classes – DOWNLOAD PDF
Maxwell powers to Symmons Plains Superpole
Team Honda Racing’s Wayne Maxwell is eyeing redemption after recording his second consecutive QBE Superpole victory at Symmons Plains Raceway today, host of the second round of the Viking Group Australian Superbike Championships (ASBK).
Maxwell had margin after his flying lap, with his effort of 53.722 seconds over four-tenths quicker than his closest challenger, Team Suzuki’s Josh Waters.
With pace proving no problem, Maxwell is eager to convert the result into race wins following the team’s trying trip to Phillip Island last weekend.
“We’ve had an up and down start to the season and the best way to turn it around is to start off pole and try and take two race wins tomorrow,” said Maxwell.
“Everything came together for me in Superpole. The team has found some extra pace in the bikes today as Jamie’s earlier lap proved.
“I’m where I want to be and am really looking forward to what will be a very close battle tomorrow.”
The result rounds out a successful day for the factory Honda team, with Jamie Stauffer smashing the qualifying record and setting the fastest ever Superbike lap of the 2.4km circuit with earlier in the day.
Stauffer’s lap, 53.271 seconds, eclipsed the standing record of Jason O’Halloran by over a tenth of a second.
He will start fourth after a solid QBE Superpole lap.
Absent from the opening round with World Superbike duties, Josh Waters will look to open his ASBK points account with a strong performance in tomorrow’s two 20-lap races.
Second place on the grid is a steady improvement for the 2009 Australian Superbike Champion, who admitted to struggling with setup yesterday.
“It’s good to be second fastest today, the bike is quick over a single lap and we’ll work on making it good over race distance for tomorrow,” said Waters.
“The field has two races on me already so I am really going to be pushing for race wins.”
Procon Maxima BMW rider Glenn Allerton qualified third fastest today with a consistent showing across all three sessions.
Positions two through to four were separated by just 0.071 seconds, setting up an enthralling and evenly-matched battle tomorrow.
The battle for Motul Superpole honours featuring the fastest four qualifers was just as intense as the Superbike class.
AARK Racing’s Christian Casella was fastest after the day’s merged qualifying session and was able to replicate the result over the course of fully-committed flying lap.
“It’s been a good weekend so far, especially considering the tough run we had at Phillip Island,” said Casella.
“The team has been working extra hard this weekend and it has really spurred me on.”
Points leader Aaron Gobert will start from the second row in position six aboard his Gobert Motorsports Yamaha R6.
The opening races of the Prostock, Superstock and Superlites categories were held today, with polesitters all converting their qualifying pace to race wins.
Cru Halliday won the 11-lap Prostock opener in emphatic form, crossing the line 3.8 seconds clear of Matthew Walters and breaking the race lap record in the process.
Halliday has headed every Prostock session this weekend, his Yamaha R1 proving the bike to beat in the diverse class.
Mike Jones recovered from a slow start in the 10-lap Superstock opener, and, like Halliday, managed to set a new lap record on the way to a comfortable race win.
Mark Wilkinson lead home a Kawasaki trio, with the ZX6R proving a popular choice amongst the 20-strong field.
Superlites honours went the way of Joshua Hook who continue his blazing run aboard his Aprilia.
Hook greeted the chequered flag almost 10 seconds clear of second-placed rider Nicky Diles, with Alex Phillis finishing third.
Each class will complete a 10-minute warm-up tomorrow morning before racing begins.
Superbike – QBE Superpole
1. Wayne MAXWELL (VIC) Team Honda Racing, Honda, CBR RR, 53.722
2. Joshua WATERS (VIC) Team Suzuki, Suzuki GSX-R, 54.124
3. Glenn ALLERTON (VIC) Procon Maxima BMW, BMW S 1000 RR, 54.182
4. Jamie STAUFFER (NSW) Team Honda Racing, Honda, CBR RR, 54.195
5. Troy HERFOSS (VIC) Team Suzuki, Suzuki GSX-R, 54.630
6. Ben ATTARD (QLD) iStyle Natural Aprilia, Aprilia RSV4, 54.891
7. Robert BUGDEN (VIC) Team Mack Truck Suzuki, Suzuki GSX-R, 55.008
8. Craig COXHELL (VIC) GAS Honda, Honda CBR RR, 55.319
Supersport – Motul Superpole
1. Christan CASELLA (VIC) AARK Racing, Triumph Daytona 675, 56.926
2. Brodie WATERS (VIC) Team Suzuki, Suzuki GSX-R, 57.281
3. Nicholas WATERS (VIC) Waters Racing, Suzuki GSX-R , 57.620
4. Kevin CURTAIN (NSW) / Yamaha Racing Team, Yamaha YZF-R6, 57.647
Honda Prostock Championship – Race 1
1. Cru HALLIDAY (NSW) Yamaha YZF-R1
2. Matthew WALTERS (NSW) / Kawasaki Connection Racing, Kawasaki ZX10R
3. Brett SIMMONDS (TAS) Honda CBR RR
4. Linden MAGEE (QLD) / Coastline Motorrad Racing, BMW S 1000 RR
5. Nathan HOUTERMAN (QLD) Honda CBR RR
6. Ben NICOLSON (VIC) / Elliot Bros Kawasaki Racing, Kawasaki ZX10R
7. Daniel MOULTON (VIC) / Mornington Kawasaki, Kawasaki ZX10R
8. Anthony QUINN (NSW) / Coopers Pale Ale, Yamaha YZF-R1
9. Scott YATES (NSW) Kawasaki ZX10R
10. Phil LOVETT (NSW) KTM RC8R
Suzuki Superstock Championship – Race 1
1. Michael JONES (QLD) Yamaha YZF-R6
2. Mark WILKINSON (VIC) Kawasaki ZX6R
3. Zach THACKERAY (NSW) Kawasaki ZX6R
4. Timothy McGREGOR (NSW) Kawasaki ZX6R
5. Daniel FALZON (SA) Yamaha YZF-R6
6. Luke BURGESS (QLD) Kawasaki ZX6R
7. James BECK (NSW) Evermil Steel Fabrications, Yamaha YZF-R6
8. Brenton HYDE (NSW) Coopers Pale Ale, Yamaha YZF-R6
9. Quentin BLAZLEY (TAS) Suzuki GSX-R
10. Kyle BUCKLEY (QLD) Yamaha YZF-R6
Motul Superlites Championship
1. Joshua HOOK (NSW) Aprilia RS
2. Nicky DILES (NSW) RSW Racing, Aprilia RS
3. Alex PHILLIS (VIC) QBE Insurance / Kallista Electrical, Aprilia RS
4. Lachlan HILL (VIC) Yamaha TZ
5. Jordan ZAMORA (QLD) Honda RS
6. Tom HATTON (WA) Honda RS
7. Mitch LEVY (NSW) RSW Racing, Aprilia RS
8. Hayden DEMAMIEL (NSW) Honda RS
9. Clint CLARKE. CE Earth Moving / Houghton Truck Hire, Honda RS
10. Aiden WAGNER (QLD) Honda RS
— Transcript of notes as reported on our live page, starts from bottom
- 1619 – That’s it for us today, until tomorrow…
- 1611 – SBK Superpole Results
- 1610 – Jamie fails to best Maxwell at the first split, and goes from 1st to 4th in Superpole. Wayne Maxwell has pole
- 1608 – Maxwell quickest at first split by a tenth…. A 53.722 to top the charts, only Jamie to go
- 1607 – Allerton fails to best Waters wit a 28.174, only the two Team Honda men to go.. Maxwell starting his lap now
- 1605 – Waters on his lap now, quickest at first split… 54.124 to the top by half a second over Herfoss!
- 1604 – Herfoss on his lap now, under at the first split… Herfoss quickest now with a 28.216
- 1602 – Attard just started his lap on the raucous Aprilia, well under the previous guys at the first split… 54.891 to Attard
- 1601 – Bugden goes through with a 55.008
- 1553 – SBK Superpole up next
- 1551 – Casella well up on Brodie at the first split. Casella takes pole with a 56.926 cracker so the Supersport front row will be Casella, Brodie, Nick and Kevin Curtain rounding out the top four
- 1550 – Brodie goes quickest with a 57.28
- 1549 – First man out was Nick Waters who put in a 57.62 as the wind got up again. Kev Curtain couldn’t better the youngster, a 57.647 to the Yamaha veteran. Brodie Waters on his lap now
- 1543 – Supersport Superpole getting underway in a couple of minutes
- 1532 – ProStock Race 1 Results
2. Walters 3.8
3. Simmonds 12.4
4. Magee 19.6 (After 10 second penalty)
5. Houterman 20.3
6. Nicolson 20.6
- 1526 – Magee has been judged to have jumped the start and will score a 10 second penalty. On track Halliday made short work of Magee and set out after Walters, taking the lead on lap 6
- 1522 – Matt Walters the early leader in the opening ProStock 1000 bout from Linden Magee and Polesitter Cru Halliday
- 1518 – ProStock 1000 race one getting underway shortly
- 1510 – 125 Race One Results
2. Diles 9.2
3. Phillis 10.1
4. Hill 19.2
5. Zamora 21.0
6. Hatton 21.4
7. Levy 29.8
8. Demamiel 34.3
9. C Clarke 43.8
10. Wagner 43.9
11. McGrath 44.1
12. Venter 44.4
13. Paton 64.9
- 1509 – Last lap board and Hook leads by nearly 10 seconds, Phillis trying to challenge Diles for second place
- 1506 – Sam Clarke went down at turn three and is out of the race. Hook leads Diles by 8 seconds with four laps to run
- 1502 – Hook running away with this.
- 1500 – Peter Galvin stopped on the warm up lap but the rest of the field away, Hook in the lead from Phillis and Diles
- 1456 – Superlites Race One up next
- 1450 – Riders on their last lap now; Stauffer tops with a 53.271, Maxwell 2nd with a 53.331 for a Honda 1-2, then Allerton on 53.480 from Waters 53.568, Herfoss 53.615, Attard 53.876, Bugden 54.038, Coxhell 54.213, Henry 54.539, McLaren 54.543, Odendaal 54.752, Christie rounds out the 12 strong field with a 56.482. Jamie’s 53.271 a new qualifying lap record
- 1445 – Dylan Mavin has smashed his knee up pretty badly in that earlier crash I believe and will be transferred to hospital shortly
- 1441 – Honda 1-2 now, Maxwell up to 2nd with a 53.331 to push Allerton back to 3rd just ahead of Josh Waters
- 1436 – Allerton improves to 53.48
- 1434 – Jamie to the top now with a 53.271. Fastest Superbike lap at Symmons Plains ever I believe
- 1427 – Conditions pretty much spot on here for this session, the wind has died down and temperatures are quite reasonable. Allerton quickest thus far with a 53.531 from Jamie Stauffer’s 53.597
- 1422 – Superbike Final Qualifying session underway now
- 1416 – Jones the winner by 4.3 seconds, an exciting tussle to the line ensued between Wilkinson and Thackeray and only 3-hundredths of a second separated the pair in Wilkinson’s favour
- 1415 – When Jones got the last lap board he was 2.8 seconds clear of Wilkinson who in turn had a couple of tenths on Thackeray
- 1414 – Jones took the lead a couple of laps ago now and his fastest lap a second quicker than the next best rider, and on a short circuit like this that is a very serious buffer indeed
- 1411 – Jones up to second place now after putting in a 57.923, this kid clearly the class of the field again this weekend.
- 1410 – Wilkinson getting away from Thackeray a little now, the gap just over half a second. Mike Jones is up to third and clearly the fastest man on the track, with six laps to run it looks as though he will catch Wilkinson before this bout ends
- 1407 – Mike Jones the pacesetter all weekend but a crap run off the line saw him shuffled well down the order while Mark Wilkinson and Zach Thackeray battled over the race lead. Andrew Kings crashed out at turn 2 a couple of laps into the race
- 1359 – Schedule back underway now, grid girls on the grid for the start of race one and pit exit open shortly. The first on the card is the Superstock 600 C/D category, a class where Michael Jones has thus far been dominant
- 1357 – Ambulance leaving the scene now, as are Racesafe cars, bike loaded on trailer and being moved off the circuit. Very smooth operation indeed
- 1356 – Dylan Mavin the rider down. Two Racesafe cars on the scene in seconds and ambulance there shortly after. Believe both rider and bike impacted to the air-fence.
- 1352 – Big crash coming on the pit straight, red flag, major incident. Air fence there so far along the wall but not sure just how far
- 1351 – Riders on their last lap now as the flag is out
- 1349 – Casella to the top of the charts! 56.006
- 1344 – Brodie still on top from Curtain, Nick Waters up to 3rd with a 56.227 then it is Casella 56.287, Mitch Carr 5th and Aaron Gobert 6th, only the top four go through to Supersport Superpole
- 1334 – Brodie still on top with that early 56.056, Kev down to 56.197 now, Casella 56.287 then it is Carr 56.603
- 1328 – Pit exit open again now
- 1323 – Scarcella I believe the rider down at the hairpin and being attended to now but is for the most part fine
- 1321 – Brodie Waters tops this session thus far with a 56.056 ahead of Kev Curtain 56.436. Red flag out now for an incident
- 1315 – Pit exit open for Supersport Final Qualifying, 30 minute session. A fair bit of breeze around but otherwise fine
- 1310 – Full Combined Qualifying Results from grids decided thus far – DOWNLOAD 750Kb PDF
- 1242 – Halliday 56.09 sets new lap record to take pole in ProStock 1000 from Walters 56.124
- 1234 – ProStock 1000, 5 minutes left in this final qualifying session and Halliday on top with a 55.701 from Walters on 56.124, Simmonds 56.448 and Magee 56.498
- 1224 – ProStock 1000 final qualifying on now and Cru Halliday top of the charts with a 56.09
- 1217 – 125 Combined Qualifying
1. Hook 61.34
2. Diles 62.71
3. Phillis 62.78
4. Zamora 62.95
5. Hill 63.36
6. Galvin 63.76
7. Hatton 64.27
8. Wagner 64.59
- 1210 – 125 session back up and running now, Hook on top from Diles and Phillis
- 1201 – Red flag while his bike is recovered and some debris cleared
- 1200 – Sam Baker just had an off and has picked up his bike and looking to rejoin
- 1158 – Superlites Q2 running now, Hook on top from Phillis & Diles
- 1145 – Superstock C/D grid about to be decided, riders on their last lap now, looks like it will be Jones from Wilkinson, Thackeray and Falzon
- 1131 – Superstock 600 C/D Q2 running now, Jones setting the pace again with a 58.167
- 1122 – SBK riders on their last lap in this session now, Allerton top of the pops with that 53.531 from Stauffer 53.597, Herfoss 53.615, Maxwell 53.851, Waters 53.959, Attard 54.196, Bugden 54.378, Henry 54.681, Odendaal 54.824, Coxhell 54.848, McLaren 54.916, Christie 56.482
- 1121 – Working on another fix to add audio to the page
- 1114 – Allerton on top now with a 53.531
- 1106 – Jamie still on top with that 53.597, Allerton next on 53.645 then it is Maxwell 53.956, Herfoss 54.049, Waters 54.243, Bugden 54.475, Henry 54.681, Attard 54.727
- 1100 – Jamie Stauffer quickest thus far with a 53.597, Allerton next with a 53.706, Wayne Maxwell on 53.956, Bugden 54.657, Attard 54.764
- 1054 – SBK Q1 getting underway now
- 1049 – Jackson Leigh-Smith the rider injured and being well cared for.
- 1044 – Session has been declared. Ambulance responding to the incident as follow up to RaceSafe first response team.
- 1042 – Red flag due to a crash
- 1041 – Hmmm, that work around fix to incorporate the audio feed into the page did not work too well so still working on it.
- 1037 – Brodie Waters topping this session now with a 56.05 from brother Nick on 56.814, Curtain 3rd, Gobert 4th, Casella 5th
- 1034 – Pretty sure I have found a work around solution and am incorporating that now
- 1030 – We might just take that audio feed out for now while we try and work out a way to embed it without the auto-refresh mucking things up and having you to click the audio feed and see an advert every time the page refreshes
- 1027 – Supersport Q1 up and running now, Curtain currently top of the charts with a 56.915 from Nick Waters’ 56.991 then it is Casella, Olson, Gobert, Scott and Lawson
- 1024 – Provisional ProStock Q1 Full Results
1 Cru HALLIDAY (NSW) Yamaha YZF-R1 56.096
2 John ROSS (NZ) BMW S 1000 RR 56.601
3 Linden MAGEE (QLD) BMW S 1000 RR 56.682
4 B Matthew WALTERS (NSW) Kawasaki ZX10R 56.705
5 Brett SIMMONDS (TAS) Honda CBR RR 57.161
6 Daniel MOULTON (VIC) Kawasaki ZX10R 57.655
7 Nathan HOUTERMAN (QLD) Honda CBR RR 57.744
8 Scott YATES (NSW) Kawasaki ZX10R 58.010
9 Ben NICOLSON (VIC) Kawasaki ZX10R 58.233
10 Anthony QUINN (NSW) Yamaha YZF-R1 58.781
11 Phil LOVETT (NSW) KTM RC8R 58.939
12 John PHELAN (VIC) Kawasaki ZX10R 58.992
13 Brett KITCHIN (QLD) Kawasaki ZX10R 59.085
14 Wayne HEPBURN (VIC) BMW S 1000 RR 59.332
15 Richard PARRY (NSW) Honda CBR RR 1:00.054
16 Robert MORTON (TAS) Yamaha YZF-R1 1:00.685
- 1021 – We are now also importing a live audio feed into this page which will display on the right of our text notes
- 1016 – Supersport heading out now for their first qualifying session. Some riders times from the earlier sessions this morning are going to be deleted due to them cutting the bus stop and not coming to a stop as instructed
- 1013 – ProStock 1000 Qualifying 1
1. Halliday 56.09
2. Ross 56.60
3. Magee 56.68
4. Walters 56.70
5. Simmonds 57.16
6. Moulton 57.65
7. Houterman 57.74
8. Yates 58.01
9. Nicolson 58.23
10. Quinn 58.78
11. Lovett 58.93
12. Phelan 58.99
13. Kitchin 59.08
14. Hepburn 59.33
15. Parry 60.05
16. Morton 60.68
- 1004 – ProStock 1000 qualifying on now, 5 minutes to run in this session. Cru Halliday on top with a 56.09 from John Ross with a 56.601, then it is Matt Walters 56.70
- 1000 – Earlier Superstock 600 C/D Qualifying Session
1 Michael JONES (QLD) Yamaha YZF-R6
2 D Zach THACKERAY (NSW) Kawasaki ZX6R 58.682
3 C Timothy McGREGOR (NSW) Kawasaki ZX6R 58.817
4 D James BECK (NSW) / Evermil Steel Fabrications Yamaha YZF-R6 58.851
5 C Mark WILKINSON (VIC) Kawasaki ZX6R 59.076
6 C Andrew KINGS (NSW) / Central Coast Performance Yamaha YZF-R6 59.155
7 D Daniel FALZON (SA) Yamaha YZF-R6 59.445
8 C Luke BURGESS (QLD) Kawasaki ZX6R 59.866
9 D Brenton HYDE (NSW) / Coopers Pale Ale Yamaha YZF-R6 1:00.262
10 D Adam RAFFE (VIC) / California Superbike School Suzuki GSX-R 1:00.928
11 D Kyle BUCKLEY (QLD) Yamaha YZF-R6 1:01.138
12 C Adam WHITTAKER (QLD) Honda CBR RR 1:01.190
13 D Samuel LAMBERT (NT) / Cube Racing Suzuki GSX-R 1:01.382
- 0955 – 125 Qualifying 1 Results
C Clarke 67.46