Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin price from $15,499
Honda Australia today announced a Manufacturer’s List Price of $15,499 for Standard, $16,999 for ABS and $17,999 for ABS-DCT models of the new Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin.
This $15,499 price point of the base machine, which will undoubtedly also prove the most popular variant of the Africa Twin, is an aggressive, and very welcome move by Honda.
Honda Africa Twin details unveiled
- Compact parallel twin engine with 70kW (94 horsepower) at 7500rpm
- 98Nm of torque at 6000rpm
- Dry Weight – From 208kg
- Kerb Weight – From 228kg
- Engine packaged in compact, lightweight frame
- New DCT functionality, switchable ABS and multi-mode HSTC available for optimal traction both off and on-road.
- Four colour schemes to be available including CRF Rally and Tricolour.
Honda is hoping the new CRF1000L Africa Twin will set a new benchmark in the adventure market when it goes on sale in Australia in 3 models – Standard, ABS and ABS-DCT.
Honda’s newest dual-purpose motorcycle is based on its hugely successful predecessors, which helped originally set the performance standard for large capacity adventure motorcycles, both on and off road.
At the heart of the new adventure bike is a 1000cc parallel twin engine delivering 94 horsepower and 98Nm of torque. Honda claims the new twin delivers a satisfying, throaty growl.
A 270-degree crank shaft provides a distinct character to the power delivery and excellent feel for rear wheel traction.
The lightweight and robust six-speed manual gearbox utilises the shift-cam design from the CRF250R/450R models, with the option of Honda’s innovative Dual Clutch Transmission (DCT) technology especially tuned for adventure.
The DCT features the standard manual mode, allowing the rider to shift gears through a handlebar trigger, as well as two automatic modes. ‘D’ mode offers a fantastic balance of fuel economy and comfort cruising. ‘S’ mode has been revised to give extra levels of sports performance, with three different shift patterns to choose from: S1, S2 and S3.
In the spirit of adventure, the DCT technology has also been customised for the Africa Twin, with a ‘G’ switch on the right side of the instrument panel improving traction and machine control by reducing clutch slip. The new system also features incline detection, which adapts the gear shift pattern to match to the grade of incline, aiding overall control.
Ready to tackle any conditions on or off-road, the Honda Selectable Torque Control (HSTC) system offers three levels of control, while the rider is also able to turn off the ABS system for the rear wheel.
The compact and lightweight chassis ticks all the boxes with outstanding off-road performance, touring comfort plus agile handling for everyday use.
The steel semi-double cradle frame provides the perfect balance of high-speed stability, off-road agility and sheer strength.
The CRF1000L Africa Twin offers practical bodywork design available in three colour options. The standard model is available in Sliver and the ABS models come in CRF Rally or Tricolour.
Honda’s all-new CRF1000L Africa Twin remains true to the go-anywhere ability, rugged durability, easy-handling and all-day riding comfort that its predecessors used to define the adventure motorcycling segment, plus adds the expertise and learnings from Honda’s exploits on and off the road over the last decade.
One of motorcycling’s most celebrated and evocative names, the Honda Africa Twin, perfectly encapsulates the adventure motorcycle ethos and will no doubt prove an ideal and versatile option for Australia’s rugged environment.
Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Specifications
- Engine Type – Liquid-cooled 4-stroke 8-valve Parallel Twin with 270° crank and uni-cam
- Engine Displacement – 998cm3
- Max. Power Output – 70kW/7,500rpm (95/1/EC)
- Max. Torque – 98Nm/6,000rpm (95/1/EC)
- Bore & Stroke – 92.0 & 75.1mm
- Clutch – Wet, multiplate with coil springs, Aluminium Cam Assist and Slipper clutch
- Final Drive – O-ring sealed chain
- Gearbox / Transmission Type
Constant mesh 6-speed MT / 6-speed DCT with on and off-road riding modes
- Honda Selectable Torque Control System (HSTC) – * HSTC 3-levels + Switch Off (*ABS & DCT models only, not on STD model)
- Frame Type – Steel semi-double cradle type with high-tensile strength steel rear subframe
- Turning Radius – 2.5m
- Dry Weight 208kg (STD), 212 kg (ABS), 222kg (DCT)
- Kerb Weight – 228kg (STD), 232 kg (ABS), 242kg (DCT)
- Fuel Capacity – 18.8 litres
- Length x Width x Height – 2,335 x 875 x 1,475mm (STD), 2,335 x 930 x 1,475mm (ABS/DCT)
- Wheelbase – 1,575mm
- Seat Height (STD position / Low position) – 870/850mm
- Ground Clearance – 250mm
- ABS system type
- ABS* 2-Channel with rear ABS off switch (* ABS & DCT models only, not on STD model)
- Brakes Front – 310mm dual wave floating hydraulic disc with aluminium hub and radial fit 4-piston calipers (*ABS) and sintered metal pads
- Brakes Rear – 256mm wave hydraulic disc with 2-piston caliper (*ABS) and sintered metal pads. Also Lever-Lock Type Parking Brake System on DCT model.
- Wheels Front – Wire spoke with aluminium rim
- Wheels Rear – Wire spoke with aluminium rim
- Rim Size Front – 21M/C x MT2.15
- Rim Size Rear – 18M/C x MT4.00
- Tyres Front – 90/90-R21 tube type
- Tyres Rear – 150/70-R18 tube type