Indian announce 2019 American Flat Track team
2019 American Flat Track calendar announced
Indian had a stellar 2018 American Flat Track season (AFT), winning 17 of the 18 races in dominant form, and will return in 2019 with defending champion Jared Mees, alongside Briar Bauman and Bronson Bauman.
Brad Baker also joins the team as technical advisor and riding coach, while Mees will race with Crew Chief Kenny Tolbert, Mechanic Bubba Bently and Jimmy Wood on suspension.
Dick Tibbits will also be handling the team’s nutrition, fitness, and mental preparation, while team operations for Briar and Bronson will be conducted by Paul Langley and S&S, , with Dave Zanotti as crew chief. Michelle DiSalvo has signed on as Briar’s mechanic, while Bronson’s mechanic will be named at a later date
Indian Motorcycle Racing also welcomed the return of Dean Young as Wrecking Crew team manager.
Gary Gray – Vice President
“We’re excited to bring back Jared, and his championship pedigree, as we embark on the next chapter for Indian Motorcycle Racing. We welcome Briar and Bronson and are proud to have them represent our brand on and off the track. When it comes to racing, we’ve assembled some of the most talented professionals in the sport, and we’re looking forward to the upcoming season.”
One of the key team members who will assume a leading role as a technical advisor and rider coach is Brad “The Bullet” Baker, with the team proud to continue its relationship with the former AFT Champion and Wrecking Crew rider.
Baker will closely support and mentor Briar and Bronson throughout the 2019 season by analysing their on-track performance, helping with race-day strategy and bike setup. Baker brings a championship-winning perspective and a wealth of knowledge and experience on the FTR750.
The 2019 AFT season will be challenging for the Indian Wrecking Crew due to a new rule designed to increase competition. This new rule will allow competitors using ‘production bikes’ to run 40mm throttle bodies while all FTR750 riders will be restricted to 38mm throttle bodies.
Over the last two seasons aboard the Indian FTR750, Mees has recorded back-to-back AFT championships and has tallied 20 total wins. Through nine races aboard the FTR750 as a privateer, Briar secured six top-five finishes, including a second-place finish at the Peoria TT and a win at the Williams Grove Half-Mile.
Following Baker’s injury at X Games, Bronson filled in and ran his factory FTR750 in the final seven races. During that time, Bronson garnered his first top-five finish of the season and his first career Twins podium with a second-place finish at the Williams Grove Half-Mile.
The 2017 Wrecking Crew swept the season standings, finishing first, second and third. The team earned Indian Motorcycle Racing’s first Manufacturer’s Championship. In 2018, Wrecking Crew riders and FTR750 privateers swept the top nine positions in the final standings, securing another Manufacturer’s Championship for Indian Motorcycle Racing.
2019 American Flat Track Schedule
- March 14: DAYTONA TT – Daytona Speedway, Daytona Beach, FL
- March 23: Atlanta Short Track – Dixie Speedway, Woodstock, GA
- April 20: Texas Half-Mile – Texas Motor Speedway, Fort Worth, TX
- April 27: Wild Horse TT – Wild Horse Pass Motorsports Park, Chandler, AZ
- May 11: Perris Half-Mile – Perris Auto Speedway, Perris, CA
- May 18: Sacramento Mile – Cal Expo, Sacramento, CA
- May 26: Springfield Mile I – Illinois State Fairgrounds, Springfield, IL
- (AFT Singles Springfield TT same weekend)
- June 1: Red Mile – Red Mile, Lexington, KY
- June 15: Laconia Short Track – New Hampshire Motor Speedway, Loudon
- June 29: Lima Half-Mile – Allen County Fairgrounds, Lima, OH
- July 13: New York Short Track – Weedsport Speedway, Weedsport, NY
- August 4: Buffalo Chip TT – Buffalo Chip, Sturgis, SD
- August 6: Black Hills Half-Mile – Black Hills Speedway, Rapid City, SD
- August 17: Peoria TT – Peoria Motorcycle Club, Peoria, IL
- September 1: Springfield Mile II – Illinois State Fairgrounds, Springfield, IL
- (AFT Singles Springfield Short Track same weekend)
- September 7: Williams Grove Half-Mile – Williams Grove Speedway, Mechanicsburg
- September 21: Minnesota Mile – Canterbury Park, Shakopee, MN
- September 28: Meadowlands Mile – Meadowlands R & E, East Rutherford, NJ